Funky

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Funky

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 pm

• funky •

Pronunciation: fung-ki • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Moldy, musty-smelling, like body odor, rank cheese, or stale smoke. 2. Down-to-earth, earthy, soulful, uncomplicated but a little offbeat (jazz).

Notes: Funky may be compared, funkier and funkiest, and used adverbially, funkily. The noun is funkiness. The meaning of funky, however, is another question altogether. It is used to refer to unpleasant smells such as stale smoke, musty cheese, or armpits. However, everyone seems to have their own idea of what it means when referring to music. Our second meaning today is more a collection of possible synonyms than a real definition.

In Play: This word began its life referring to slightly foul but tolerable smells and maintains that sense today: "April Showers dreaded washday because she had to smell her husband's and sons' funky clothes." Today the word can as easily refer to soulful, earthy styles in just about anything: "Belle O'Donnaugh was known in the community for the funky parties she threw."

Word History: Today's Good Word has been used in reference to the musty smell of stale smoke since around 1623. This suggests that it might have been borrowed from the word funkier "to smoke", found in some French dialects. Funkier originated as Latin fumigare "to smoke", derived from fumus "smoke", the origin of English fumes. (The literary French word is fumer "to smoke".) Later the smell of stale tobacco smoke was transferred to musty cheese and then on to other musty, foul odors. Funky connected with jazz in the 1950s to distinguish the more "aged" hence authentic jazz styles from the modern ones emerging then. Since then, its meaning has moved in many directions. (Our gratitude to Cathy Hilborn Feng of Hong Kong for suggesting today's funky Good Word is very authentic and sincere.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Re: Funky

Postby wurdpurrson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:42 am

Related is the phrase "in a funk"or "in a blue funk", coined, I believe, about the time the jazz reference of funky was becoming common amongst musicians. It usually meant to be down, or in a quandry or even depressed.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Any idea how, if at all, this relates to modern German "funk" -- radio, to broadcast-- as in the Funktoren in Berlin?
Everything works out, one way or another

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 pm

My associations with funky is primarily offbeat in a je ne sais qua sort of way. Sort of a funky existential definition.
pl

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 am

Hey, why is no one doing the Funky Chicken? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVrOW8TnJM
PattieT

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:56 am

I did the Funky Chicken just last weekend, when I was in a funk and needed cheering up. Got pretty funky in the process, but got lots of exercise to make up for it.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 am

The first thing that came to my mind was Steve Martin and "King
Tut, he's so cool and funky."

If funk is related to fume, then perhaps we can say "perfunk" for a not-so-pleasant perfume? :idea:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Slava, sounds like a very necessary and useful new word... at least, I THINK it's new??
Everything works out, one way or another

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:22 am

I made and then deleted a post in response to damoge, not realizing the new word he was talking about was Slava's word, not "funky." :oops:

Return to “Good Word Discussion”