Astringent

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Astringent

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:02 pm

• astringent •

Pronunciation: ê-strin-jênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Drawing together (organic) tissue, styptic. 2. Figuratively sharp, pungent, severe, as 'astringent remarks'. 3. Strong, bitter, as 'an astringent taste'.

Notes: This adjective comes from the rare verb astringe "to draw close, to constrict". It provides for an adverb, astringently, and a noun, astringency. It may be used itself as a noun referring to any substance causing things to astringe, as 'to use a styptic stick as an astringent after shaving'.

In Play: The fundamental sense of this word is "to constrict": "I don't think your wound merits a Band-Aid; an astringent is all you need." However, the sense has wandered off to a metaphorical "sharp, strong", which is more often the way today's Good Word is used: "Mother had some rather astringent remarks for Mark when he tracked mud in the kitchen floor that she had just mopped."

Word History: This word is a makeover of Latin astringen(t)s "constricting", the present participle of astringere "to bind fast, tighten, constrict" from ad- "(up) to" + stringere "to draw tight". The PIE word that produced stringere in Latin came to English via its Germanic ancestors without the Fickle N as streak, strict, and strike. The same PIE word, strei(n)g- "to stroke, rub, press", produced Lithuanian stregti "congeal, become stiff" and Greek strangein "to twist". English borrowed several words from Latin based on stringere, including stringent and, via French, strain, restrain, and constrain. (At this point we should all feel constrained to thank William Hupy for suggesting today's exceptionally Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Astringent

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:45 pm

I made oatmeal cookies today, and the recipe called for molasses. Others said they were quite good, but I found the bite of the molasses a tad astringent for my tastes. I'll stick to brown sugar in the future.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Astringent

Postby David Myer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 am

I will risk one of your cookies, if you are passing this way Slava.

I always assumed the constriction in astringency, was actually a puckering of the mouth after having tasted it.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”