Rascal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Rascal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:51 pm

• rascal •

Pronunciation: ræs-kêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Affectionate) A playfully cheeky or mischievous person, a naughty person. 2. A disreputable person, a rogue who isn't quite a scoundrel.

Notes: Today's Good Word originally referred to a real scoundrel, but over the years its meaning has softened until today it is used mostly in jest. This is witnessed by the host of playful derivations it sports: rascaldry and rascality are abstract nouns expressing the character of a rascal, and rascaldom refers to the collective world of rascals. It has even accumulated a fanciful extension that lends it a more high-falutin' ring: rapscallion.

In Play: You may use this word on children you love who are behaving rascally: "OK, you little rascals, if you don't calm down, there won't be any dessert for you after dinner." I associate rascals with simple naughtiness: "I don't know how well the honeymoon will go: that rascal Tommy Rott opened a can of sardines on the engine block of the newlyweds' car."

Word History: English adopted this word from Middle French rescaille, rasqualle "rabble, the unwashed masses" from Old French rasque or rasche "mud; scabies". This word most likely arose from an unattested verb rasquer "to scrape", cognate with the Spanish verb rasgar "to rip, tear; to strum" that underlies rasgado "strumming". The French and Spanish verbs should have derived from an unattested Vulgar (street) Latin verb rasicare "to scrape". We also need this verb to explain the noun rash, borrowed from Old French rasche "scabies". Rasicare would have emerged from the past participle of Classical Latin rasus, the past participle of radere "to scrape, scratch, rub". This attested verb goes back to PIE red-/rod- "to scratch, gnaw", which also developed into rodent and rasp. (Ah, that rascal Jackie Strauss is at it again: fetching this fetchingly Good Word for us today.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Rascal

Postby David Myer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

And presumably this is related to 'scallywag'? My dictionary rather feebly says this is of unknown origin. I guess they mean 'unknown by them'. It always seems to me when the media report that the 'culprit is unknown', that they are abrogating responsibility for their own ignorance. Of course the culprit is known - even if only to herself. What they mean is "we are unable to ascertain who is the culprit".

Any ideas on scallywag?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 pm

All Oliver Twist images come to mind.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Interesting. I always thought rascal came from rapscallion rather than the other way around. :?

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Seems that a little twist into pidgin English has taken rascal back closer to its ancestry. Wikipedia tells us: "Raskol gangs are criminal gangs in Papua New Guinea, primarily in the larger cities, including Port Moresby and Lae. Raskol is a Tok Pisin (Pidgin English) word derived from the English word rascal and is currently used in PNG to refer to gang members or criminals in general."
PattieT

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 pm

When I saw "rescaille" I thought rapscallion likely came from the same source, as suggested misterdoe.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”