Palladium

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Palladium

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:47 pm

• palladium •

Pronunciation: pê-lay-di-êm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A charm or talisman believed to have the power to preserve a city or state possessing it. 2. A source of protection, a protective guardian or guarantee. 3. A hard, ductile, metallic element resembling silver; Atomic No. 46.

Notes: When you feel as though you must establish your literacy, use the plural form palladia for today's Good Word. If you are just sitting around 'chilling' with your friends, use palladiums. This word has no relatives except in the sense of the metal: palladiferous "containing palladium" and palladiumize "to coat with palladium".

In Play: Today's Good Word is a popular name for theaters and concert halls across the US. "Playing the Palladium" from Hollywood to New York was a mark of distinction for performers in the 30s and 40s and continues to some extent today. The Stone of Scone is considered by many the palladium of Scottish freedom. It was captured by Edward I in 1296 and ensconced in the coronation throne of England until returned to Scotland in 1996. The Bill of Rights is the palladium of American civil liberties.

Word History: This Good Word is Latin Palladium, taken from Greek Palladion, from Pallas (originally Pallads), whose stem is Pallad-. Pallas was a member of the race of giants who tried to capture Mount Olympus. Various Greek gods and demigods defended Olympus. The giant Pallas was slain by Athena, the goddess of wisdom and civilization, and the protector of cities. After that, she was often referred to as "Athena Pallas" or just "Pallas". The Palladion was a sacred sculpture of Athena located in Troy believed to protect the city from attack.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Palladium

Postby damoge » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 pm

and everyman's hero, Palladin? (not sure of spelling) does that name exist anywhere except in the old TV series?
Everything works out, one way or another

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:46 pm

I wonder if the "Ghost Dance" of the Last Free American Indians
would qualify.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:47 pm

I may be wrong, but I think I've heard the term used for
the horse shaped figure in chess.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

gwray
Lexiterian

Postby gwray » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:01 am

I have never heard that term for a knight in my many years of playing chess. I have heard the piece described as a chevalier. There was a book of chess and math puzzles called "The Palladium"
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 am

We shouldn't forget the famous Venetian architect Andrea Palladio (1508-1580). He was given this name as an allusion to Athena Pallas.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:25 pm

damoge, I have occasionally met the term in the sense of a rescuer or hero, but the western tv series always comes to mind. "Have gun, will travel."
pl

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks, Perry. I've not come across it in any other context. I'm happy to know that it exists as a common noun. It may one day be useful...
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”