Laconic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Laconic

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:21 pm

• laconic •

Pronunciation: lê-kah-nik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Terse, succinct, using or composed of few words.

Notes: Today's word refers to a quality many of us are desperately longing for after the recent political campaigns in the US. Well, we can at least talk about the word. Laconical is now obsolete, but we still must use it to create the adverb: laconically. The noun for this adjective is laconism.

In Play: The antonym of today's Good Word is another recent Good Word, garrulous: "Robin Banks is a very garrulous guy, but if you ask him how he got his start in life he becomes laconic very quickly." This word applies to the written as well as the spoken word: "No one knows exactly what medical emergency has arisen in New Monia, Pennsylvania, because the press releases have been so laconic."

Word History: The Greek original of today's Good Word is lakonikos "Laconian, Lacedæmonian", an eponym of Lakon "person from Laconia". Laconia (Greek Lacedaemon) was a district in southern Greece, whose capital in ancient times was Sparta. Inhabitants were famous for the brevity of their speech as a result of their response to a threatening note from Philip of Macedon: "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta to the ground." The response from Spartan officials was the epitome of laconism: "If." (We will not be at all laconic in our expression of gratitude to Mark Bailey for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Laconic

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Sparta wins the trophy, but the Silent Cal Coolidge story, true or made up, comes in second. A woman came twittering up to Cal to state proudly she had bet a friend he would say at least five words to her. His response: "You lose."

Which brings up my archaicism of a previous meaning of twitter...
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I have always taken this word to mean "slowly, without enthusiasm." As in doing an unpleasant task. Now I know better.

Has anyone else had this understanding?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 pm

yes
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Funny, I always held the idea that it was a melding of the two--
slow, and short.
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”