Resplendent

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Resplendent

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:55 pm

• resplendent •

Pronunciation: re-splen-dênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Exhibiting dazzling splendor, awesomely glorious, breathtaking in lavishness.

Notes: This word is the adjective of the seldom used verb resplend "to shine brightly, to be resplendent". Its simpler cousin, splendent, means "shiny, lustrous" or "illustrious". Both may be used as an adverb with the suffix -ly, (re)splendently, or as a noun with the suffix -s, but spelled (re)splendence (pronounced [re-splen-dênts]). An additional -y is optional on the noun: you may use resplendency (or splendency) if your poem needs another syllable.

In Play: We use today's Good Word only in cases of extreme grandiosity: "The resplendent grandeur of the Taj Mahal is recognized around the world." This adjective is often used with the preposition in: "The arrival of Maud Lynn Dresser, resplendent in all her furs and jewelry, marked the beginning of the festivities."

Word History: Today's Good Word is based on resplenden(t)s "shining", the present participle of Latin resplendere "to shine brilliantly". The prefix re- in this word functions as an intensifier, indicating that resplendere refers to a greater shining, a greater brilliance than simple splendere, which has approximately the same meaning. The root of splendere is found in many English words borrowed from Latin, including splendid, splendor, and splendiferous. It also went into the making of Latvian spulgis "morning star", but traces of it in other Indo-European languages are difficult to find. (We are grateful to Nathan Fleming for suggesting such a splendid Good Word as today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Resplendent

Postby misterdoe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm

I immediately thought of a line from The Big Bang Theory, where Raj had been featured in an article in Time magazine on young up-and-comers and was on his way to a dinner for all the honorees. He was a little tipsy and more than a little full of himself as he asked Penny, his date (!!), "I am resplendent as the noonday sun, am I not?"

He was not.
:)

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:04 pm

"Resplendent" strikes me as redundant in a vocabulary that includes "splendent." I'd put it in the same category as "pre-board," "proactive," "prequalification" and "inflammable." Irregardless of common usage, we rarely need to add intensifying syllables. If it ain't broke, don't prefix it.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:56 pm

"Resplendent" strikes me as redundant in a vocabulary that includes "splendent"... If it ain't broke, don't prefix it.
:lol:

I'd add "preplan," which I hear in funeral home radio commercials. "Pre-" is the only kind of plan. :|

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I don't recall having come across splendent before, and my spell-check doesn't like it, either.

I suggest using splendent as a way to suggest a failure at achieving resplendence.

"It appears the US inauguration is going to be simply splendent this time."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”