Pomace

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Pomace

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 am

• pomace •

Pronunciation: pê-mês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: The residue of fruit, nuts, fish, or anything else after the liquid has been squeezed out of it.

Notes: Does this word sound a lot like pumice to you? We hope you did not confuse the two in your holiday food preparation. Although pomace is high in fiber, it is used mostly in pet and livestock feeds. These two words are pronounced identically by sheer chance (see Word History). This good word is a lexical orphan, all alone in the world—without even a plural.

In Play: We try to run this word during the holiday season because it offers so many opportunities for its use. I'm not referring to the insignificant discussions of what to do with the orange pomace after squeezing out the juice or the apple pomace remaining after pressing the cider: "After shopping all weekend I feel like a bag of human pomace!" And once the kids got all the gifts out of the wrapping paper, what will the living room look like—right! Gift pomace. Give this Good Word a good workout whenever you encounter a left-over mess.

Word History: This very Good Word was pomis in Middle English (until Shakespeare's time), having been slipped away from Medieval Latin pomacium "cider", a word based on Vulgar (street) Latin poma "apple, fruit". That is the same root we find in French pomme "apple", pomme-de-terre "ground apple = potato", and pomegranate the "apple" with all the seeds. Pumice came from Anglo-Norman pomis, a descendant of Latin pumex "foam, pumice". This word is a cousin of Sanskrit phena and Russian pena "foam" and, probably, English foam.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Pomace

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 pm

I pronounce pumice with a 'puhm-', and pomace 'pom-.' Anyone else?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Pomace

Postby damoge » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 pm

So do I.
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”