Ersatz

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ersatz

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 pm

• ersatz •

Pronunciation: er-sahts, êr-sahts • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Being an inferior substitute. 2. Not real or genuine, fake.

Notes: Today's Good word in German was Ersatz "replacement, substitute". Although it has been in the English language since the 19th century, it became very popular during World War II, when Americans consumed a lot of ersatz coffee, ersatz butter (margarine), and used ersatz tobacco. This word sounds too foreign to have been Anglicized, so it has no derivational family.

In Play: This word has spun off several figurative usages from its original literal reference to fakeness: "Rodney is still drinking that ersatz 'coffee' made from chicory." Here is an example of its abstract applications: "She answered the question about her age with an ersatz smile."

Word History: Ersatz is the German noun for ersetzen "to replace, substitute" from Old German irsezzen, composed of ir-, an unaccented variant of ur- "out-" + sezzan "to set". The prefix ur- comes from Proto-Indo-European ud "out", the same origin as that of English out, Modern German aus "out" and Dutch uit "out". Old German sezzen comes from PIE sed- "sit", as do English sit, set, and seat. A lot of English words are based on borrowings from the Latin version of the same PIE word, sedere "to sit", including séance (a sitting), sedentary, and all words ending in -sess: obsess, possess, and assess. (It's high time we offer Jackie Strauss some genuine, non-ersatz gratitude for sharing today's Good Word with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ersatz

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:49 pm

Here's some banter about this word in the suggestion box, from way back in '06.

Anyone think echt is English enough for a suggestion?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:58 pm

Well, Slava, I don't think I hear it (echt) often in English, but when I read your use of it in the older exchange, I thought,
Slava! You did it again!
Thanks!
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:26 pm

I like your 'echt ersatz beer' concept, Slava. I came across a similar idea with echt ersatz Rolex watches.

I am trying to attach a picture (screen shot) of 707KB but it is rejected as too large! I wonder if there is another way? Or am I doing something wrong? I have tried the drag and drop method, the Attachments button and the Add files button, and a copy and paste. Is there a problem with .png files?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”