Bairn

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bairn

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:38 pm

• bairn •

Pronunciation: bayrn • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A child, a baby

Notes: Today's word has a healthy and happy brood itself. Bairnly "childish" is the adjective and adverb, which come with their own noun, bairnliness. Bairnhood is childhood and childishness is bairnliness. A family may be bairnless; if so, they suffer from bairnlessness.
In Play: This Good Word requires a keen awareness of whereabouts in use. In Scotland or Northern England (Yorkshire) you will be safe to use it, or wherever the Scottish congregate. In The Strength of the Strong, Jack London wrote, "Eleven bairns ha' I borne," [Margaret Henan] said; "sux o' them lossies an' five o' them loddies." The pictures hereabout are of Dr. Goodword's wee grandbairns, Laurel Beard and Abigail Beard, who have grown considerably since these picture were taken.
Word History: It always gives me great pleasure to discuss a word that was not borrowed from any language. Today's Good Word is pure English, inherited from its Germanic ancestors. The word in Old Germanic was barno- from the verb beran "to bear", which remains in all English dialects. Bairn is the Scottish form, but Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish retain it as barn. German and Dutch switched to kind and English, to child, which goes back to kil-d-. The root kil- was an old Germanic word meaning "womb" while kind is related to English kin, which comes from PIE gen- "to generate", whence also the gyne in gynecology. (An old Agora activist, Ekkis, raised the issue of naming our offspring across Germanic languages, and suggested today's very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bairn

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 am

Hmm... "the bairnly bellicose behavior of the bellowing buffoons". Now I need a good "b" word for government or something related.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:49 am

Beauracracy? for starters.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:53 am

:oops: I should have been able to come up with that one. Blame it on writer's block.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm

But neither Trump or Clinton begin with a B.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”