Primogeniture

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Primogeniture

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm

• primogeniture •

Pronunciation: prai-mê-jen-ê-tyur or -chêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. The status of having been born first. 2. The law of inheritance whereby property is inherited by the first-born son.

Notes: It is usually applied in the legal sense; however, it means only "first-birth". The first-born is the primogenitor.

In Play: Birthrights play a major role in families, so you might try, "OK, big brother, primogeniture does not give you the right in this house to fossick around in my room when I'm not here." I doubt if a brother, no matter how large, would want to take on a sibling with this kind of vocabulary.

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Latin primogenitura "right of the first-born child", made up of primo "first" + genitura "birth, begetting". Primo derives from Proto-Indo-European per "through" with a suffix -m. With the suffix -v it appears in Slavic languages as Russian pervyi, Czech and Slovak prvý, and Polish pierwszy, all meaning "first". The same root probably underlies English far. Genitura was created from Latin genitus, past participle of gignere "to beget", akin to genesis "birth, creation". The Latin verb evolved from the PIE root genê- "to give birth, beget", which also produced Greek gyne "woman" found in gynecology and misogyny. Both these words are devolved from the same PIE root as English king and queen. Genê- went into the making of many words including generate, genteel, and kind in the sense of "variety".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Primogeniture

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 pm

One of the beauties of reading on an IPad is you can hold your finger on a word and get a menu that allows you to look up said word. I did this with fossick and found that it means "to rummage" or "search". Further, fossick is noted as informal Australian! Now that expanded my vocabulary, Doc!
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:23 am

While historically used only of male offspring, I wonder if, given the literal meaning, it could apply to female first-born.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Per the last decade the first born, male or female, can inherit the throne. But Princess Charlottes offspring will not inherit any title
whereas her brothers will. Primogeniture in UK still pretty much
male oriented. As Princess Anne's kids got no title.
Belgium, Holland, Sweden, etc. firstborn can inherit Crown.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”