Foment

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Foment

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:56 pm

• foment •

Pronunciation: fo-ment Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. To warm to promote healing or to bathe in a warm, healing lotion. 2. To promote growth, to stimulate or encourage.

Notes: I have heard this word used as a synonym of instigate or incite, but remember that its meaning is much milder, only to encourage or promote; though the implication is a persistent prodding rather than a sudden rally. You will hear the accent on the first syllable of this word in the US, but most dictionaries agree that it should fall on the second.

In Play: I'll bet many of you reading this have fomented a swollen ankle or twisted knee without realizing you were doing so: "I foment my pulled tendons with a poultice of scotch and vanilla ice cream." I suspect drinking and eating them would produce better results. Just keep in mind that foment refers to a milder, more lingering form of encouragement than instigate or incite: "Dewey Rose a revolutionary?! He might foment the growth of his petunias with fertilizer, but nothing more militant than that."

Word History: This Good Word was copped from Old French fomenter, from Late Latin fomentare, a verb based on fomentum "poultice". Fomentum is a reduction of an earlier word fovimentum, derived from fovere "to cherish", earlier "to warm". The root of this Latin verb came from a Proto-Indo-European root dhegh- "to burn", maybe "to shine", since it fits as a source of German Tag "day" and English day. It also shows up in Sanskrit dah "to burn" and Lithuanian dagas "hot season, summer." So why does the Latin word begin with an F rather than a D? At the beginning of words, the sounds [bh], [dh], [gh] converted to [f] in Latin. We see the same change in Latin fornax "oven" and English burn; both go back to a PIE word beginning in [bh].
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Foment

Postby Slava » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:33 pm

I never knew the warming, healing aspect of foment.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am

Perhaps so many of us (me included) have been unaware of the gentleness of the principal definition of "foment" because it sounds so much like "ferment," a word that has a rougher connotation. The two words are sometimes conflated, a result encouraged (or at least tolerated) in some dictionaries. For example, I just checked a dictionary and found this as definition 7 for "ferment":
<<to inflame; foment: to ferment prejudiced crowds to riot.>>
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Scotch and ice cream works for me.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”