Husband

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Husband

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 pm

• husband •

Pronunciation: hêz-bênd • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. To manage, take care of, as to husband a farm or the animals on it. 2. To economize, to use frugally, prudently, and judiciously.

Notes: The meaning of this word has drifted so far off course that it is losing ground against the more common noun husband, the male spouse. It is still a useful and often used verb, however, so let's be sure to keep it in our vocabulary. It is a sign of a healthy vocabulary that is capable of raising an eyebrow or two when used. The noun for either sense of this verb is husbandry.

In Play: In the first sense above, to manage, today's word is usually applied to agriculture, big and small: "Rose Budd husbands every flower in her garden as if it were one of her children." In the second sense, it applies to pretty much everything: "Well, our man Izzy Dare is certainly a person who husbands his wisdom and doesn't squander it on career decisions. I have no idea why he even puts in for promotions."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the remains of Old English husbonda, the English version of Old Norse husbondi "householder", a word left behind by the Vikings who were wont to raid the shores of Anglo-Saxon England. This word was a compound of hus "house" + bondi "dwelling, home-owner", the present participle of bua "to dwell". The noun was originally used as a verb in the sense of simply "running a household". Old Norse bua came from the same ancestor as English build and German bauen "to build". With the -n suffix it also became bond in the sense of a bondsman or serf, originally referring to someone bound to an estate. Those of us who own our own homes understand this sense of bonding very well. (Let us not husband our gratitude but lavish it upon Jackie Strauss for suggesting such a very Good Word for our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Husband

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 pm

It's used out here in farm country.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

jerrythebeeguy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby jerrythebeeguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Animal husbandry is a familiar term to most us, but to "husband" a whole farm was a new one for me when I ran across the following quote while researching origins of my name, which is Mixon.
"Hard by or at home, better wed over the mixon than over the moor; mixon being that heap of compost which lieth in the yards of all good husbands." 1620 English proverb

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:33 pm

WELCOME
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:00 am

jerrythebeeguy, entered your first post with a bang! Welcome, and do it again! Excelllent comment...
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I never thought of this before, given the roots, there is no reason a woman can't be a husband. Indeed, many are these days.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”