Obambulate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Obambulate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 pm

• obambulate •

Pronunciation: ahb-æm-byê-layt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: To walk around, to wander here and there, to stroll about.

Notes: I'll bet you thought this was a brand new word involving a past president. In fact, it is an archaic word that has not been recorded by the Oxford English Dictionary since the end of the 18th century. The noun is obambulation and the adjective is obambulatory.

In Play: In case you want a single classic word to replace walking around, you may want to revive this golden oldie: "Miles Walker enjoys his evening obambulations; he obambulates around his neighborhood each day at dusk." It has a full complement of derivations: "In the course of his obambulatory visits to the late-night pubs, Tom Collins managed to lose his wallet in one of them."

Word History: This word was borrowed from obambulatus, the past participle of Latin obambulare "to walk up to, to wander, to walk around". It comprises ob "towards, for, because of" + ambulare "to walk". Ob comes from the PIE root epi/opi "near, over, at, against". Latin used the O-variant, but Greek used the E-variant for its epi "on, at". Slavic followed Latin, converting the O-variant into Russian o(b) "about". Ambulare comes from PIE ambhi- "around", which turned up in Greek as amphi "around, about", found in the English borrowing amphitheater. Latin transformed it into a prefix, ambi- "around, on both sides", which we see in the borrowed words ambiguous and ambidextrous. It was also incorporated in a verb, ambire "to encircle, to go around, to seek, strive for". The past participle of this word was ambitus, which underlies English ambitious.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tkowal
Lexiterian

Re: Obmablulate

Postby tkowal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 am

Perambulate seems to be an obvious (quasi-)synonym.

angebunch
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Obmablulate

Postby angebunch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am

Is there a difference between obambulate and perambulate? Any reason to choose one over the other?
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Obambulate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 am

I can only think of one reason to prefer obambulate over perambulate: If you're writing to a Republican and want to roil of confuse him/her.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Politics, Doc?? Not like you, nor this site.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:57 am

I took it more as an appropriate jest Luke, based on the similarity of the verb to the prior US President's name, but you could take it as politics I guess.
Iain

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 am

I frequently joke about politics. The greatest political commentator of all time in my opinion was Will Rogers. He ran for president in the Anti-bunk Party on the promise that, if elected, he would resign. He also said that he didn't understand why so many people complained about Congress; we have the best congress money can buy. He died in 1937, the year before I was born. I chose this word because of its ostensible reference to a politician. I spent considerable time trying to figure out what the word might mean were it based on Obama.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Emulate Obama? No, not quite, obamemulate would work, though.

Obamaobambulate - avoid all things Obama?

Why do I want the "ob" to mean "around?"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:32 am

Slava, back to the peri- prefix for "around." The experts all think my name comes from pear trees, not fromour being men aboout town!(?)
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”