Lo

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Lo

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

• lo •

Pronunciation: lo • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Interjection

Meaning: 1. Emphatic interjection, used to emphasize what follows by drawing attention to it. 2. Used to direct attention to something, Behold! Look!

Notes: This word bears a tinge of archaism, but it still survives, especially in the phrasal interjection, lo and behold, as in, "He said he wouldn't come but, lo and behold, there he was." Rather than an abbreviation, this word seems to have expanded into "Hello!", which has become a common emphatic interjection today.

In Play: Today's a word that is about to slip away from us; we should do all we can to keep it: "As he left for school that day his mother complained about the messiness of his room, but when he returned, lo, everything was in its place!" We will probably meet this word in the idiom mentioned above: "The president was silent for the first three days of the emergency and then, lo and behold, he tweeted us."

Word History: This interjection originated in Old English la, an exclamation of surprise, grief, or joy. It either merged with or was influenced by Middle English lo, a shortened form of lok "look!", the imperative of loken "to look". Look is also used as an emphatic interjection in such expressions as "Look you! I mean what I say!" This expression is preserved in northern English dialects as 'loo' thee!' Look set out in Old English as locian "look, behold", a cousin of Dutch loeken "to look, watch", and German lugen "to look, peer". How this word entered the Low Germanic languages is unknown. German is a High Germanic language and its basic word for "look" is blicken, found in all the High Germanic and North Germanic languages. German lugen is apparently a borrowing from Dutch.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lo

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:16 am

Unless we think of looking and seeing as different concepts, "lo and behold" is redundant. Nice way to emphasize it, though.

Lo gets used a lot in Christmas stories, too, what with angels appearing and babes being born.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:36 am

Looking is to Seeing as (perhaps), Listening is to Hearing.

But maybe looking implies 'looking for' which is the same as seeking. Are See and Seek related?

A bit lazy of me. Sorry. I will look it up and report back

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:39 am

No connection. Two entirely unrelated words as far as I can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”