Dasn't

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Dasn't

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 pm

• dasn't •

Pronunciation: dæs-ênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, auxiliary (sort of)

Meaning: Dares not, dare not.

Notes: This odd little word is generally considered a dialectal variant, but it is heard from Wisconsin to the Deep South, especially in the speech of elderly people. It comes neither from mispronunciation nor ignorance, but from old forms of dare that are no longer used (see History).

In Play: If you hear someone say this, remember that it is just an older form of dares not: "I dasn't drink a martini while I'm taking my medicine for fear of falling victim to the side effects that combination has on some." In Chapter 8 of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain wrote, "I tried to get Tom to come away, but he wouldn't, and I dasn't budge by myself." It sounds a bit dated and twangy, but as long as we read writers like Twain, it will continue to pop up.

Word History: Dare is a part-time auxiliary verb. Only auxiliary verbs (verbs that must appear with another verb) like can, do, and have form contractions (can't, don't, haven't). English also brings auxiliaries out to the front of the sentence in questions, "Dare I take the last chocolate chip cookie?" But we also use it as a regular verb, "Do I dare take the cookie?" So this verb comes to us in a state of confusion. It apparently brought an old form of the imperative with it, for the S was originally in other forms of the verb. We might still hear he durst for "he dared" or she dursn't for "she dared not". Apparently, an old imperative form with an S survived among the nooks and crannies of the English-speaking world. (I dasn't end this discussion without commending the courage of Donald C. Schark for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Dasn't

Postby Slava » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am

Try making negative contractions of regular verbs. It's both weird and fun.

I surfn't the Web very often.
He readn't books. (Which could explain the grammar, there.)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Dasn't

Postby George Kovac » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Try making negative contractions of regular verbs.
Hey, isn't it hard enough to make negative contractions of auxiliary verbs? As to regular verbs, I amn't even going to try.
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Return to “Good Word Discussion”