Apocalypse

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Apocalypse

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am

• apocalypse •

Pronunciation: ê-pah-kê-lips • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Biblical) The book of Revelation or a group of anonymous texts written between the 2nd century BC and the 2nd century AD, containing prophetic visions of the destruction of the world. 2. Catastrophic destruction such as is described in these books.

Notes: The adjective accompanying today's word is apocalyptic and the adverb, apocalyptically. The belief in the notions of the Apocalypse, in the imminent destruction of the world, is apocalypticism or just apocalyptism. Perhaps the Apocalypse is best known for its famous equestrians, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: pestilence, war, famine, and death, the heralds of the end of the world.

In Play: Although today's word officially may refer to any prophetic revelation, it is most often used to refer to prophesies of doom: "It is difficult to believe that so few foresaw the economic apocalypse that started in 1929." These days, in fact, the word can find a lot of work around the business world, "I hope the out-going president took his apocalyptic vision of the company with him."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Late Latin apocalypsis, borrowed from Greek apokalypsis "revelation, apocalypse" from apokalyptein "to uncover, reveal", comprising apo- "away from" + kalyptein "to cover". The Greek verbal root kalypt- is akin to calypso, the name of the sea nymph who kept Odysseus on her island for seven years during his journey. We also see it in the name of the "good cover", eucalyptus tree. The root, kal-, comes from Proto-Indo-European kel-/kol-/kl- "to cover, conceal", which turns up in English as hall and hell, not to mention two more obvious covers, holster and helmet. Latin color "color" is a cousin, apparently from a time when color was considered a cover.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Apocalypse

Postby Slava » Mon May 09, 2022 7:28 am

As this word means revelation, could I say this is an apocalypse to me? I've always thought this was the actual devastation, not the foretelling of it.

Would "apocalyptic revelation" be redundant?

Also, I gather calypso the music style is unrelated and probably a coincidence.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Apocalypse

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue May 10, 2022 12:22 am

Will the world end with a flash or a whimper? The lack of respect for our environment lends credence to the whimper. Our eagerness to do war lends credence to the flash. Saint Peter's, "The elements shall melt with fervent heat" might favor the flash. However, the right interpretation of this seems to be the end of the universe itself. One would hope that people wouldn't be involved in the destruction of the Earth, but they just might. This would not necessarily mean the end of the Universe or even this weary old globe - Just the end of mankind. In Christ I have my insurance of surviving the end of the Universe. But there is no insurance on surviving a human caused end of the earth. I pray it doesn't happen.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”