Declivity

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Declivity

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

• declivity •

Pronunciation: di-kli-vê-tee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A downward slope.

Notes: Several adjectives are related to today's noun; the two most common are declivous [de-kli-vês] and declivitous [di-kli-vê-tês], currently the more popular of the pair. The antonym is acclivity "upward slope," whose adjective is acclivitous.

In Play: Today's word plays a major role in geological descriptions, "Old man Truman lived and died on the eastern declivity of Mount St. Helens." However, descriptions of other things can often accommodate it, too: "Their relationship has been in a declivitous state since the evening he lifted her cat from the couch by its tail."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Latin declivitas "slope, declivity" from declivis "sloping downhill", comprising de- "(away) from" + clivus "slope". The root of this word is related to climate via Greek klima "region". The zero-grade form of the same root, suffixed with -d, kli-d-, gave us <i>lid</i> from Old English hlid "cover". Suffixed with -n, the same root became English lean from Old English hlinian "to lean" and suffixed with -ent, it produced Latin cliens, clientis "dependent, follower", the source of English client. Finally, another suffixed form evolved into ladder, from Old English hlædder "ladder", whose trail leads through Old Germanic hlaidri-.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Declivity

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:02 am

If you have a serious declivity, it turns into a proclivity?

I have a kind of proclivity for going down rabbit holes of words. I'd say propensity would actually better suit that sentence. Which leads be further to 'propense' and 'propend.' Archaic to be sure, but still out there.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”