Attorn

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Attorn

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:19 pm

• attorn •

Pronunciation: ê-torn Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: (Law) 1. To turn over to another, to assign or transfer allegiance, goods, responsibility, etc. 2. To legally acknowledge a new landlord, to accept the new ownership of a property you are renting.

Notes: This is the verb that gave rise to attorney (see Word History). In the past, this word was Anglicized to atturn, but under the influence of its Latin origins it was returned to its current spelling in the legal world.

In Play: This word is often used in the idiomatic phrase 'attorn tenant' meaning to recognize a new owner of rental property, as in: "He decided not to attorn tenant to the new owner and moved to a new apartment." Otherwise, it is an arcane word even in legalese, though not without metaphorical possibilities: "When he agreed to launder the ill-gotten gains of the mod boss, his soul attorned to the devil."

Word History: This Good Word was borrowed from Old French atorner "to turn to, assign, attribute," from a(d)- "(up) to" + tourner "to turn". The noun of this verb, attorné "one you turn to", was borrowed by English as attorney. Tourner is the French version of Latin tornare "to turn on a lathe" from tornus "lathe", borrowed from Greek tornos "lathe" from the PIE root terê- "to rub, turn". Terê- underwent metathesis in Germanic languages to emerge in English as thresh, which originally meant "to trample, stamp". This explains its appearance in threshold. The threshold was originally the place where you stamped your boots to get mud off them. (Perry Lassiter's suggestion of attorney in the Alpha Agora, where he is a Grand Panjandrum, led to the discovery of today's unexpected Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Attorn

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:51 am

Thanks, Doc. It was indeed an unexpected turn. Even explains "attorney at law" as opposed to tenant or on a lathe.
pl

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:13 am

Attorn is not an arcane word in legalese, at least among those of us attorneys who practice real estate law. “NDA” (for “non-disclosure agreement”) is in the news a lot lately because of the controversies involving women who are pressured or paid to enter into agreements to not disclose the stormy (or at least disputed) behavior of men in the workplace or otherwise in positions of power. But those of us in the real estate word know NDA as the acronym for the more prosaic NDA “non-disturbance and attornment” provisions in a lease governing the relationship between a tenant and its new landlord when the building is sold.

Dr. Goodword wrote this example of metaphoric usage: “When he agreed to launder the ill-gotten gains of the mob boss, his soul attorned to the devil.”

Well something close to that actually happened in the non-metaphoric world. We are all familiar with those on-line “terms and conditions” on websites to which we must check “agreed” in order to proceed to read the content we are interested in. The language goes on for pages, and often ends with a statement that you have actually read all the fine print before clicking “agreed.”

A few years ago a cheeky on-line service (I think they sold video games) buried deep in their terms and conditions a clause stating that by clicking “agreed” the user acknowledged, among other things, that he was irrevocably assigning his immortal soul to Satan.

It took months before any user read that far into the terms and conditions and raised an objection. The website owner winked and sent out a press release that it would no longer include that provision, and that it would waive the provision for users who had already clicked “agreed” in the past.

The website owner was of course making a witty critique about the routine imposition of lengthy terms and conditions that no normal person actually reads, much less negotiates.

Yes, as the lawyers say, the devil is in the details.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 pm

As I have said all along, life is weirder than fiction. That is why so much fiction is based on actual occurrences.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am

True that. Fiction has a hard time catching up with reality.

My friends accuse me of making up entertaining (but false) stories to illustrate an amusing point. I never do that. (Well, almost never.)

So I fact-checked myself about the online sale of one's soul to the devil. It actually happened, pretty much as I remembered it: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100 ... 9039.shtml
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Return to “Good Word Discussion”