Punctilious

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Punctilious

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 pm

• punctilious •

Pronunciation: pêngk-ti-li-ês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Showing precise concern for proper behavior, very closely observant of even the smallest details of social conventions. 2. More broadly, observant of the fine points of any activity.

Notes: Punctilious originally referred to an awareness of the punctilios (fine points) of the rules of proper conduct. However, a punctilio is today any fine point so the meaning of the adjective is broadening, too. This word is sometimes confused with punctual. Punctual refers to people who are always on time. The most common noun from this adjective is punctiliousness, though punctiliosity has been used as late as 1919.

In Play: This Good Word is most commonly used to refer to someone who is attentive to the finer points of almost anything: "The PBS series Downton Abbey is known for its punctilious attention to all the mores of the era it recreates." It may be used to refer to too much attention to detail: "Rhoda Book's latest novel has such a punctilious list of every detail of each character that it becomes prolix.

Word History: This word was borrowed from Italian puntiglioso "punctilious" from puntiglio "obstinancy, stubbornness", which Italian borrowed from Spanish puntillo "exaggerated sense of honor". The Spanish word came from Latin punctillum "fine point, dot, spot", the diminutive of punctum "point, dot, spot". This word is the past participle of pungere "to prick", inherited from nasalized form of the PIE root peuk- "to prick". It arrived in English as the tool, a punch, and the verb pounce, which was at one time associated with avian predators whose pounce is accompanied by piercing of claws. Without the Fickle N, it went into the making of Latin pugnus "fist", which we see in the English borrowings pugnacious and pugilism. Finally, the word pygmy comes to us via the related Greek word pygme "fist".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Punctilious

Postby George Kovac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 am

Punctilio is a word delightful to the ear, and a word known to every lawyer because this rare word appears in a famous quote from a legal opinion studied by every first year law student. Meinhard v. Salmon was a 1928 lawsuit involving the duties that one partner in a joint venture owes to the other. Benjamin Cardozo, the Chief Judge of New York’s highest court, wrote, “A trustee is held to something stricter than the morals of the market place. Not honesty alone, but the punctilio of an honor the most sensitive, is then the standard of behavior… the level of conduct for fiduciaries [has] been kept at a level higher than that trodden by the crowd.”

Punctilio. The word sticks in the mind’s ear for a lifetime.

The use of a rare word may come off as pretentious. But when properly deployed, as in Cardozo’s example, a rare word is a mnemonic vehicle to remind us of an important principle. Though the word punctilio may be rare, its practice is demanded of all persons in a fiduciary role or a role of public trust. I would argue that a punctilio of honor is called for in public life, or at least "something stricter than the morals of the market place." The punctilio rule—too often disparaged today—should apply to not just to Caesar’s wife, but to Caesar himself.
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:52 am

I always enjoy your post Mr K and this one didn't disappoint. Interesting perspective, I'll remember that.
Iain

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri May 05, 2023 9:18 pm

In light of recent revelations about the Supreme Court, I am surprised “punctilious” and its odd noun “punctilio” have not appeared in media discussions of late.

First year law students are taught that judges must avoid even the appearance of impropriety in order to preserve the integrity of the judiciary. Judges must adhere to the punctilio of proper behavior. It is a tough standard, rightly so.

I revisited the entry for “punctilious”, featured as a GoodWord five years ago, and my post at the time. I have nothing to add. And much to regret.
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 06, 2023 6:53 am

Not exactly an oxymoron, but 'integrity' and 'judiciary' don't work well together any more. I'd say they are being quite punctilious, though. Punctilious in hiding their (as they see them) peccadilloes. :cry:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat May 06, 2023 7:44 pm

Here, here!
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sun May 07, 2023 12:06 pm

Doctor Goodword,
"here, here!"
or
"hear, hear!"??
Opposite meanings, no?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun May 07, 2023 6:36 pm

"Here, here!" is an old British expression of emphatic agreement. I picked it up from old British movies and, now that I think of it, we never used it (here) in the US, did we?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Mon May 08, 2023 10:20 am

I have always associated “hear, hear” with outcries of assent in the British parliament. According to grammarly.com, it’s “hear, hear” not “here, here.” According to that same post on grammarly.com, MPs are still offered snuff when they enter the chamber. Ah, the Brits can be so twee.

“Hear, hear” makes sense in a culture that begins its legal proceedings with “oyez, oyez.”

…which is mirrored in other cultures. Here in Spanglish-speaking Miami, a common colloquialism among Spanish speakers (and some of us Anglos) is to begin a conversation with “oye” (even if the speaker continues in English). Depending upon the inflection, “oye” can signal a variety of contexts, from friendly to menacing. Think of that great and felicitous Santana song, “Oye, Cómo Va?”, which translates more more less as “Hey, how’s it going?” But “oye” can also signal trouble, as when a disgruntled customer confronts the vendor by starting the conversation with “oye!”, translating more or less as “You listen to me!”

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon May 08, 2023 11:40 am

I've always understood it to be "hear, hear", indicating something like
"Listen up! This is good stuff!"
"Here, here" is that saccharin cooing that the kindergarten teacher uses "Here, here, now, be a good little ..."
(you may complete that last with part of the headline from the story in the Sunbury Daily Item referred to at the bottom of our recent daily mailings from you)
Debby M
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed May 10, 2023 11:18 pm

Interesting Debby. I certainly agree that the use in Parliament is properly "Hear, hear". But is it not also in your teacher example? Is she or he saying "Here, over here, give me your attention", or "Listen up everybody"?

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Thu May 11, 2023 12:56 pm

I had in mind the tired teacher at the end of the day with the class clown/bully/over-privileged child she could no longer cope with. She was restraining herself as much as possible, shifting from fury to false calm (probably through gritted teeth).
My less than helpful reference to the Sunbury Daily featured a story headline "It No Longer Takes @#$%& to Use Foul Language", quoting Our Good Doctor extensively. I meant for the @#$%& to replace the ... after "good little...", at least in her mind.

I hope that clarifies the difference for me between "Hear, Hear" and "Here, Here..."?
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”