Manipulate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Manipulate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:39 pm

• manipulate •

Pronunciation: mæn-ni-pyê-layt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. Handle, operate, control skillfully, as 'to manipulate the stage lights successfully'. 2. Examine with the hands, as 'to manipulate a joint'. 3. Influence something or someone cleverly, but unscrupulously, unfairly, to tamper, as 'to try to manipulate stock prices'.

Notes: Someone who manipulates in any of the three senses above is a manipulator, which gives us one active adjective, manipulatory. The other is manipulative. There are also two passive adjectives, manipulable and manipulatable. My spellchecker prefers the latter; I prefer the former.

In Play: The original sense of today's word was limited to things you could to with your hands: "Fosdick manipulated the ropes his wife had tied him to the chair with and escaped, but not before she had left." However, this word has long since escaped that limitation: "Fosdick was beginning to realize that his desire to manipulate his wife's life had failed."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a back-formation of French manipulation. This word was a French creation from manipule "handful", an old pharmacists' measure, inherited from Latin manipulus "handful, sheaf, bundle", a compound containing manus "hand" + a variant of plere "to fill". Notice that the English correlate of today's word, handle, is based on the same concept "hand" as the Latin borrowing. The Latin word goes back to PIE man- "hand", which ended up in the English borrowings manual, manage, and manicure. Latin plere came from PIE pelê- "to fill", which ended up in English as fill and full. In Russian it became polnyi "full". (We need now to manipulate into the discussion a word of thanks to our old friend Joakim Larsson for recommending today's handy Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Manipulate

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:24 am

The relationship to hand goes further, too. After all, isn't a handler one who manipulates?

Back in the day, when I got my first job at a pizzeria, we actually measured the ingredients for the sauce by hand. 3 cans of sauce, a manipule of X, a small manipule of Y, 3 more of Q, etc. Of course, we didn't call them manipules at the time, just handfuls.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”