Score

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Score

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 pm

• score •

Pronunciation: skor • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To notch, tally, cut or scratch a line on something. 2. To make a point in an athletic competition, as 'to score 15 points in a basketball game. 3. To succeed in obtaining something difficult to obtain, as 'to score some dope', especially love-making with someone of the opposite sex.

Notes: The last meaning has an interesting history. Baseball hall-of-famer Lou Gehrig played first base. His wife was a song writer who wrote a song in the 30s called "I can't get to first base with you". The song implied the lack of success in attracting the affection of someone of the opposite sex. The title of the song itself has become idiomatic in the sense of failure to achieve something. The logical extension of this sentiment was that if you hit a home run and scored, you had success in achieving something difficult to do.

In Play: The original sense of score was "to cut": "The French, whose life expectancy is longer than Americans', score their pork roasts in order to lard them." The latest meaning may be illustrated thus: "Phil Anders scored only a kiss from Anna Liza Carr last night."

Word History: Today's Good Word began its life meaning "to cut". Old English scieren, from PIE (s)ker-/(s)kor- "to cut", evolved into shear. Old English probably borrowed its scoru from Old Norwegian skor "notch, twenty", the language of the Vikings. Cutting notches was a way of keeping count of things in years gone by. The Germanic languages tended to keep Fickle Ss. Greek and Latin did not, so we find Greek keirein "to cut" and Latin curtus "short, shortened". The assumption is that in counting sheep, one notch equaled 20 sheep. In Old French, Welsh, Irish, Gaelic, Breton, and non-IE Basque, the word for "twenty" came to be used as the base of their numbering system, as in Old French vint et doze "32", dous vinz et diz "50".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Score

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm reminded of cowboy spaghetti westerns where kills were
scored into gun handles.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Score

Postby George Kovac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 am

Score is one of those plain words so long in the English language that it has accreted numerous meanings, of which Dr. Goodword prudently chose to focus on only a few of the most salient. “Sack,” “play,” “hit” and “run” are other examples of simple old words with universes of barely related meanings. I was unaware of the charming etymology in which Lou Gehrig’s songwriting wife inadvertently enriched the language with an often off-color metaphor.

In addition to the definitions selected by Dr. Goodword, “score” as a verb can mean composing the music for a play, movie or television show.

I remember a scene from one of those generic big-budget mid-twentieth century movie musicals, which gave a nod to Mrs. Gehrig’s contribution. The prudery of the day and the Hollywood code precluded overt sexual references in movies, elevating the innuendo to an art form in public entertainment. The unimaginative plot of the movie is that a musical composer (a bankable box office actor whose name I can’t recall) is way behind schedule in delivering the orchestration for an upcoming Broadway play. So his best friend lends him his remote but well-accoutered cabin in the woods where the seclusion would free the composer from the distractions of the big city (the chief distraction being womanizing, because the composer refuses to settle down and find the right girl.) The cabin owner says to his friend as he hands him the keys “You should be able to do a lot of scoring this weekend.” And, no surprise, boy meets girl that weekend and they live happily ever after.

Well, that’s the score.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Return to “Good Word Discussion”