Smithereens

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Smithereens

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:53 pm

• smithereens •

Pronunciation: smi-dhêr-eens Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, plural

Meaning: A host of broken fragments.

Notes: This word is rather an English oddity not given to derivation, but several writers have tried it as a verb: "Frisco planted a bomb big enough to smithereen a large building," or "A turn of events that smithereens your plans for the weekend." No one seems to have tried a single smithereen yet, so we will continue to call it a plural noun—not to deter you from pushing the envelope.

In Play: This Good Word is used almost exclusively in phrases like 'break, blow, knock to smithereens'. Yet it has much greater metaphorical potential, as D. H. Lawrence demonstrated in Mornings in Mexico 16 (1927): "The sun went bang, with smithereens of birds bursting in all directions." It has a startling, unexpected beauty: "After the funeral, he sat in his living room for days, profoundly forlorn, amidst the smithereens of the life he had shared with her for 52 years."

Word History: This good if mysterious Word has worried etymologists for ages. While a smith's hammer could certainly blast many objects to smithereens, it apparently has nothing to do with today's word. Now evidence indicates that it is a simple borrowing from Irish Gaelic smidirini, the diminutive of smiodar "a small fragment". The base word also exists in English as smithers, as 'the bicycle came out of the box in smithers', and we had to assemble it ourselves. (Patricia Castellanos of Montevideo, Uruguay, suggested we look into today's Good Word. We're glad she did.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Smithereens

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:15 pm

I like this word. It gives a boost to the discussion. We use it a lot here in the hinterlands.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

jfink68510
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Smithereens

Postby jfink68510 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 pm

I can imagine a singular use of this word. "After dropping the lamp, I tried to sweep up all the shards, but for days I kept coming across a stray smithereen here and there."

Return to “Good Word Discussion”