Existential

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Existential

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 pm

• existential •

Pronunciation: eg-zi-sten-shêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Related in some way to (human) existence, threatening existence. 2. Defined by existentialism (see Notes). 3. Derived from experience.

Notes: Today's Good Word seems to have entered the vocabularies of all newscasters simultaneously this year (2018). It is the adjective for existence and comes with an adverb, existentially. Existentialism is a philosophical school, popular in the 60s, that focuses on the analysis of human existence (as opposed to essence), proposing that individual human beings are free agents determining what they will become by their own choices.

In Play: The usual sense in which the word is used on US TV is "threatening existence": "Harley didn't know that his decision to marry June McBride was an existential decision until he saw the pistol in her hand." It may also just refer to experience: "There is no existential evidence of life after death."

Word History: Today's Good Word was scooped up from Old French existential from Late Latin extentialis "related to existence". This adjective was based on the present participle, existen(t)s of Latin existere "stand forth, come out, emerge; appear, exist". This word is made up of ex "out of" + sistere "cause to stand" from PIE si-sta-, a reduplication of the combinative form of sta- "to stand (firm)". Prostitute, someone known to stand through the night, is a Latin borrowing comprising pro "through, forward" + statu-ere "make stand", a causative variation of stare "to stand". For prostitutes' trade, English borrowed ecstasy from Greek ekstasis "astonishment", the noun from existanai "to derange, displace", made up of ek- "out of" + istanai "to place, put", another word from PIE sta-.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

BobW
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Existential

Postby BobW » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 am

My favourite book when I was young was Chambers 20th Century Dictionary (1972) with detailed etymological notes. Your Word History is just as satisfying. Thank you.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 pm

:D
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Warning! As a Philosophy major who followed that up with three girls in a seminary studying theology, I could discuss this for hours. I will try to limit myself to two points:
1 - Doc's discussion was excellent, however it is extremely difficult to pin down what existentialism mean in a particular context. Certainly Kierkegaard and Sartre were opposite poles in discovering "truth for you," The first, often considered the founder, existentialism was a positive force. The other set of life despairing.
2 - for Kierkegaard, that personal truth lead to radical commitment . In the minds of Karl Barth and Emil Brunner, it kicked off a revolution in European and American theology called Neo-orthodoxy. That alone has taken many shapes and forms.
3 - I couldn't resist one more – I personally find a very close relationship between existentialism and pragmatism. For most people, "truth for you " is what works.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”