Reticule

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Reticule

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 pm

• reticule •

Pronunciation: red-ê-kyul • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Crosshairs, a grid of fine vertical and horizontal lines in an optical device or graphics editor for locating visual objects precisely. 2. A woman's fabric purse with drawstrings.
Notes: This word has been spelled reticle so many times that all English dictionaries now accept this spelling as that of a synonym. But we have a third synonym: graticule. Today's word is the basis for the verb reticulate [re-ti-kyê-layt] "divide or mark in a way that resembles a net". We have several adjectives from today's noun: reticulate [re-ti-kyê-lêt], reticular, and reticulated.
In Play: The most frequent usage of this word is in reference to the reticule in the telescopic lens of a rifle, used to focus it: "The reticule in my rifle sight is off by at least a foot, or I wouldn't have missed that deer we saw." However, it haunts the world of fashion in reference to a lady's purse: "Maude Lynn Dresser came to the party with a small embroidered reticule on which you could clearly see the outline of a pistol."

Word History: Today's word is réticule, the French hand-me-down of Latin reticulum "small net, a net bag", the diminutive of rete "net", a word of unknown origin. It is probably a word borrowed from a non-Indo-European language. It was used in Proto-Indo-European, for we find rėtis "sieve" in Lithuanian. No other evidence of it survived. Graticule is also a French word meaning "grid", borrowed from Italian graticola "griddle, gridiron", which Italian inherited from Latin craticula "small gridiron", a diminutive of cratis "wickerwork". Latin inherited this word from PIE kert- "to turn, intertwine". French also turned craticula into Old French greil, which became gril "grill" in Modern French, whence English borrowed it as grill.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Reticule

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Could a football field, often called a gridiron, be called a giant reticule?

Actually, the only place I've seen the word is in novels, referring to women carrying reticules.
pl

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Could a football field, often called a gridiron, be called a giant reticule?
I'm not sure about that, but the chain used to measure whether the football advanced enough to earn a first down could be called an object of reticule.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 am

:D
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Reticulous!
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:28 pm

:roll:
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 am

In all my eighty-one years, I have never heard anyone say this word. I knew the definition of it as a purse. I was unaware it was the name of crosshairs. So, I have learned something.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”