Tomgirl

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Tomgirl

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

• tomgirl •

Pronunciation: tahm-gêrl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Sissy, boy who dresses and acts in a girlish manner. 2. Tomboy, a girl who dresses and acts in a boyish manner.

Notes: This word really shouldn't be any more offensive than its antonym, tomboy but, because male effeminacy is considered worse than female manliness, it probably carries a tinge of insult. The adjective is tomgirlish and the noun, tomgirlishness. Tomgirls are not necessarily gay.

In Play: Tomgirl has so recently been used in the first sense that this sense is not even listed in most dictionaries: "I don't want Tim on our team because he throws a baseball like a tomgirl." In the opposite sense, "tomboy", the word has been used like this: "Maisey was a golden tomgirl with a boy's taste for sports and fishing."

Word History: Today's Good Word emerged in the late 19th century in the sense "tomboy". It was used only in this sense until quite recently. It is a compound noun, obviously, comprising tom + girl, paralleling tomcat and tomfool. Tom, like Jack, is a generic word for "man, boy", as in 'every Tom, Dick, and Harry'. In fact, this phrase has morphed since the 17th century, when it started out as 'every Tom, Jack, and Harry'. Girl has been the object of many long attempts at setting out its etymology. One proposes an unrecorded Old English ancestor gyrele, but for a word with such a common meaning not to be recorded anywhere is unlikely. Another tries to derive it from Old English gyrela "garment", and girl is still used to refer to a child of either sex in the Irish English of Wexford. However, this explanation is equally unlikely. (Gratitude is due our old South African friend Chris Stewart for suggesting today's old Good Word with a new meaning.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Tomgirl

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Tomgirl is new to me. It is interesting that meanings one and two are so far apart, almost like a contranym—yet, the juxtaposition sort of makes sense in a subliminal way. The etymology of “tom” is fascinating for the variety of jobs it has performed in the language as an adjective. For example, descriptive: tom turkey, tom cat; sort-of-fond: tomboy, pejorative: tomgirl, tomcat, demotic: tomfoolery.

But back to tomgirl and its contradictory meanings. The addition of a person’s given name changes everything. It made me think that, fifty years after I first heard these epochal lyrics, maybe there is a pun I missed. Songs are designed to be heard, not apprehended as punctuated, written text. So, imagine the last word of this couplet in lower case, as an adjective rather than a given name:
“Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy”
Was that last choice of a given name just a convenient rhyme or was it a sly, ambiguous pun? Perhaps? I think, er, no, I mean, er, yes, but it’s all wrong. That is I think I disagree.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Tomgirl

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:13 pm

:)
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”