Creepy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Creepy

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

• creepy •

Pronunciation: kree-pee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Creeping or otherwise moving very slowly. 2. Causing a sense of fearfulness or unease.

Notes: This rather ordinary word is odd all the same. It is the adjective for the verb creep but has wandered semantically a bit off course, as the second sense indicates. We may emphasize the initial meaning now by extending today's word with crawly, creepy-crawly. A creepy-peepy was the original name for the portable TV camera used for close-ups in large gatherings. The abstract noun is creepiness with an I. A person who makes you feel creepy is just a creep. The past tense and participle is crept.

In Play: Almost anything a bit scary can be creepy: "Maudlin Dresser's house is creepy with all its old, old, out of fashion furniture." Even activities: "Some people find partying with folks as old as their parents a bit creepy."

Word History: Creepy ultimately goes back to the verb creep, an original English verb that was creopan "to move low along the ground" in Old English. The same Proto-Germanic word produced kruipen "to crawl" in Dutch, Swedish krypa "to crawl", Danish krybe "to creep, crawl", and German kreichen "to creep, crawl". The Old English meaning led to the sense of insects crawling over your skin, a sense which went into the making of the second meaning. Calvin Watkins suggested it might be a variant of PIE ger-/gor- "to rub". But we find no words in Indo-European languages outside Germanic with a suffix -b.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Creepy

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:22 am

Valentine's Day has crept up on us once again, so, on the 5th anniversary of this word's posting, I'll wish all and sundry a Happy one!

Love, Happiness, Joy and no creeps!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:23 pm

Did anyone else find today's posting by the Good Doctor on Cupid-- find the story of Cupid and his solution for Psyche, his sister, once again (having heard it so many times before) more than a little creepy?

Sorry for the weird sentence above. hope you can parse it.

Debby m
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Well, here's my this-year response to 2017's issue of Cupid:
Sounds like a good soap opera: mother is so jealous of daughter that she asks son to help destroy her. Son and daughter, i.e. brother and sister, shack up together instead. :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:43 am

So are we saying that Cupid and Psyche were brother and sister - or half-siblings? Either way, creepy indeed.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”