Europe

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Europe

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 pm

• Europe •

Pronunciation: yur-rêp • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, proper

Meaning: One of the seven continents of Earth, stretching from the eastern rim of the Atlantic Ocean north of Africa, to the Bosporus in Turkey and Ural Mountains in Russia.

Notes: The adjective for today's word is, of course, European. Because it refers to a people, no adverb or noun should be possible, but it may be used as a noun referring to the peoples of Europe. Europeanness is understandable and has been used more than once.

In Play: Although we still do not see a United States of Europe among the family of nations, the plethora of new words containing Euro flooding European languages demonstrates how strong the sense of unity is. Eurovision broadcasts the Euronews to Euroinvestors, who buy Euroequities, and to Eurotrash, who often buy Eurojunk (bonds). Only Eurocommunism shows any sign of disintegrating. The name of the new pan-European monetary unit, the Euro, was clipped from Europe as a stand-alone word.

Word History: The eponym of this Good Word was Europa, a lovely woman in Greek mythology from the Levant, the area occupied today by Israel, Lebanon, and Syria. One myth has Europa seduced by the god Zeus in the form of a bull and carried away to the island of Crete on his back. According to Herodotus, however, she was kidnapped by Minoans, who likewise were said to have taken her to Crete. Either way, the mythical Europa cannot be separated from the mythology of the sacred bull, which was worshipped in the Levant. The etymology of her name, euru- "wide, broad" + op- "eye(s)", suggests that Europa represented a cow at some symbolic level.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tkowal
Lexiterian

Re: Europe

Postby tkowal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 am

I have seen europeism and europeanism.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am

And one of the moons of Jupiter, Europa.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm

And the silly things coming out of said place are europeinanity? :o
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 pm

sounds good to me.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm

am still intrigued by the thought that Europa is from an area outside of Europe, and was by either account, not brought there willingly.

Is it sufficient recompense to have the whole dang place named for you?
Everything works out, one way or another

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

I am intrigued by this etymological note:
The etymology of her name, euru- "wide, broad" + op- "eye(s)", suggests that Europa represented a cow at some symbolic level.
Years ago I spent a good deal of time in Hong Kong working on a project. I learned that in local parlance a common name for Europeans (and Westerners in general) was "round eyes." I don't know if the term was pejorative.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes, "round eyes" is pejorative. My favorite Asiatic pejorative for westerners is "the stinky ones." I teach English to classes of Asians. They say I smell like beef, which is strange because I rarely eat beef.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:27 pm

My dear wife just returned from a three week visit to Eastern Europe. This included a lower Danube riverboat tour and a visit to friends who are "people of the cloth". She and her travel companion are elderly ladies, but the leaders were a pair of 50-somethings. I don't roam. I stayed at home.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”