Nihilism

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Nihilism

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 pm

• nihilism •

Pronunciation: ni-ê-liz-êm, nai-ê-liz-êm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. The belief that all current norms, behaviors, and values are meaningless and should be abolished. 2. Rejection of all current systems, values, and principles in some creative or other area, such as 'religious nihilism'. 3. Belief that the political and religious establishments must be destroyed so that rational and human institutions can arise to replace them.

Notes: This basically political philosophy has been long ignored because of its obvious faults. It has been so often confused with its third definition today, that this definition has become a permanent fixture. Someone who holds nihilism as a belief is a nihilist who it nihilistic and thinks nihilistically.

In Play: There was a real Russian nihilist party at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. This party wanted to destroy the entire tsarist political system and see what happens. However, nihilism is now associated with the total destruction of anything: "Les Hope thinks the world is fast approaching a state of moral nihilism."

Word History: Nihil may be contracted to nil, as in nil desperandum "nothing to be despaired of" = "never give up". Nihil itself is a reduction of nihilum "not at all", made up of ne "not" + hilum "trifle, whit", of unknown origin. We do know the origin of ne is PIE ne "not, no", which also produced not and no in English and thousands of other words throughout the Indo-European languages. One of the least expected is negligee, borrowed from French négligée "(to be) neglected", comprised of an assimilated form of nec "not, and not" + liger, a left-over from Latin leger "to collect, pick up". By the way, nec is a contraction of ne-que "and not", which was a contemporary of nec. (Today's Good Word was generously recommended by Lew Jury, another prolific long-time contributor.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

BobW
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Nihilism

Postby BobW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:19 am

Let's not forget that nihilism makes a guest appearance in floccinaucinihilipilification (the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. Possibly the longest non-technical word in the English language at 29 letter although somewhat contrived.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:52 pm

My Favorite word, thanks for bringing it to mind.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:04 am

Let's not forget that nihilism makes a guest appearance in floccinaucinihilipilification

On 21st February 2012, in the debate on the remuneration of EU staff, Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg used the word “floccinaucinihilipilification,” making it the longest word ever used in the British House of Commons. Since 2019, Rees-Mogg serves as Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council.

Rees-Mogg discussed his use of floccinaucinihilipilification in this hysterical interview on BBC. The interview is real, although it feels like excellent sketch comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMsufN7Wlmk
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 am

I read a description once that a nihilist will look on passively while the world collapses around him, but move his food dish two inches and he'll cry bloody murder. :)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:49 am

Rees-Mogg discussed his use of floccinaucinihilipilification in this hysterical interview on BBC. The interview is real, although it feels like excellent sketch comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMsufN7Wlmk
Fun. Odd that they call him a floccinaucinihilipilificatrix (13 second mark), though. Shouldn't he be a floccinaucinihilipilificator?

Oh, floccinaucinihilipilification has been given our good Dr.'s treatment.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm

floccinaucinihilipilification

2021 and it's still my favorite word.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am

floccinaucinihilipilification: 2021 and it's still my favorite word.
Do you use it in conversations? I watched the BBC interview of a man who actually USES it in conversations, in fact, he used it at least twice in the interview. I suppose it poses a speaking challenge and challenges seem to attract some people, maybe Brits more than Americans.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 pm

Actually I do, especially when a conversation turns very
academic, and I want to show I can keep up with the topic
at hand, that and the Welsh town,which, when I was there
in Wales, had a boy teach me the pronunciation.

The last time was in conversation about the Scripture's saying
Armageddon was destruction.
I agreed, the Scripture says destruction.
But creation was 'ex nihilo' out of nothing.
Armageddon is not putting back into nothing, only destruction
and how much of this world, earth to be specific,
has to be destoyed to have 'paradise"?
Only homo sapiens, there is no evil elsewhere.
I'm not sure now how Flocc.....came into it now, but it did.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”