Barrage

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Barrage

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:50 pm

• barrage •

Pronunciation: bahr-ij, bê-rahzh Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Engineering) A dam, barrier, or other obstruction built in a stream to create an area of deeper water or to divert the stream's flow. 2. A heavy, overwhelming outpouring that prevents response, such as a 'barrage of artillery fire' or 'barrage of words'.

Notes: Today we have two words for the price of one (and a reasonable price that is). The first is barrage, in the sense of "a dam", is pronounced [bahr-ij] in the US. The second one, in the sense of "an overwhelming outpouring", is pronounced [bê-rahzh]. This second word is in the process of being Anglicized, so don't be surprised to hear it pronounced [bê-rahj].

In Play: The first of today's words has is closer to the sense of the verb "to bar" and for that reason is pronounced as though it were based on bar: "The kids loved to build barrages in the stream behind the house and catch the minnows that collected behind it." The other sense is by far more common: "Congressman Mander received a barrage of questions from reporters about the fur coat he had recently given to his secretary."

Word History: Both of today's English words come from the same French word. The first is a noun derived from the verb barrer "to bar, to stop," from the noun barre "a bar, barrier". This is the same word that became bar when borrowed by English, a word which influenced its pronunciation. French is Latin as it is spoken today in France. (Spanish is Latin as spoken today in Spain and Italian is Latin as it is spoken today in Italy.) The language spoken in France before the arrival of the Romans was a Celtic language called "Gaulish". Barre came from that language. The sense of a barrage of artillery fire came from the French phrase tir de barrage "curtain of fire", first used in World War I, a method of firing intended to bar all incoming fire. (OK, time for a barrage of thanks to Thel Casper for suggesting today's very interesting Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

jerrythebeeguy
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Barrage

Postby jerrythebeeguy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

You failed to mention the use of this word during WW2. Huge inflated balloons tethered with steel cable were deployed on the coast of Southern California during the war to stop low-flying aircraft over oil refineries and aircraft factories; they were called "barrage balloons". I leaned this word in that context when I was eight years old, so that is the first definition that comes to my mind now.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”