Frogs & Hailstones?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:31 am

I'd be interested in seeing more of this bat wool, is it from sheep? I noticed that a bat of wool results from the carding process not the flying mammal. http://www.answers.com/topic/carding "When the fiber comes off the drum, it is in the form of a bat, or a flat, orderly mass of fibers. If a small drum carder is being used, the bat is the length of the circumference of the big drum, and is often the finished product.'
Any wool on a bat (phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Mammalia, order Chiroptera) would be imaginary, or do I misconstrue?

Mark
Last edited by Bailey on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:35 am

Shakespeare's Ladies might have found it difficult to find any wool of bat but could find bat wool anywhere, especially where quilters gather.

Mark

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:06 pm

I'd be interested in seeing more of this bat wool, is it from sheep? . . .

Any wool on a bat (phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Mammalia, order Chiroptera) would be imaginary, or do I misconstrue?

Mark
It's been a while since I was up close and personal with a bat, but since they are mammals, I assume they must have fur, albeit fine and short.

(Said bat was in the family room; not sure how he got in. I swatted him off the wall with a broom and he landed on the floor. I covered him with a plastic basin and then slid a piece of cardboard along the rug under the basinated bat, eliciting an angry-sounding ticking noise. He/she was not a happy bat. I lifted the assembly of basin, bat, and cardboard, carried it upstairs, and threw the whole shebang out the front door, where, when the cardboard and basin separated, said bat, to quote Grandpa Munster, " . . . took off like a bat out of Heaven!" It never returned.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Bats are mammals, just like humans, which means that all bats are warm-blooded, have hair, bear live young, and feed their babies milk.

Yes, Virginia, bat hair does exist, but apparently not enough to card wool from. Although it might make for an interesting sweater... The wool bats I was referring to are, as you deduced, from sheep.
-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:49 am

Yes, Virginia, bat hair does exist, but apparently not enough to card wool from. Although it might make for an interesting sweater... The wool bats I was referring to are, as you deduced, from sheep.
that's pretty much what I was saying, I 've seen several bats close-up, none exactly had wool, but they are hairy like rats.

mark

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:59 am

In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
ALL. Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
THIRD WITCH. Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
Witch's mummy, maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
Root of hemlock digg'd i' the dark,
Liver of blaspheming Jew...
Ignoring the aspersion, this reminds me of an incident my brother had at a restaurant some time ago. He was dining with a group of friends whose dishes had been brought to the table, while his order of liver had yet to arrive. The waitress assured him, “we’ll have your liver out in a minute sir”. He instantly clutched his abdomen and replied, “that won’t be necessary!”
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 am

Talking about bats, I have a student who says that a classmate of his (who is also my student) eats bats. I looked up bat in Modern Greek and found nychterida, so I'm wondering if somebody who eats bats engages in nychteridophagy and is said to be a nychteriodophagist.

Brazilian dude
Last edited by Brazilian dude on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:46 pm

. . . while his order of liver had yet to arrive. The waitress assured him, “we’ll have your liver out in a minute sir”. He instantly clutched his abdomen and replied, “that won’t be necessary!”
It sounds like he has a home here! 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:19 pm

just wanted to say:
hard to get "hair" or even most fur from a bat(animal) to do this:

mark
Last edited by Bailey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:49 pm

. . . while his order of liver had yet to arrive. The waitress assured him, “we’ll have your liver out in a minute sir”. He instantly clutched his abdomen and replied, “that won’t be necessary!”
It sounds like he has a home here! 8)
He sort of does. It is my brother that I quote in my "signature". He is a freelance copywriter,and as hard-wired for puns as I am. But if he is sitting at the computer, he is either doing his primary work, or ogling guitars on Ebay. I'll just have to keep being silly for both of us (and many of you know that this is not a problem for me :roll: ).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:46 pm

I still regret that I five years ago didn't buy the cook book (in (almost) Swedish) that I saw in a Greek shop. Just like the restaurant case, it prescribed something like "Take your liver, clean it and cut it in small pieces".
Irren ist männlich

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 pm

Cleaning your liver could be a good thing. I'm less sanguine about cutting it into small pieces. Glad you didn't try Anders!
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:33 am

cleaning your liver would cause you to be less sanguine indeed, I'm thinking here of course a vigorous scrubbing under running water.

mark

kb

Return to “Idioms”