Fun phrases in Latin

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A tongue-twister even in Latin. :?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 am

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about what was and wasn't art. I know I am an old geezer, but the person who coined, "I don't know how to define good art but I know good art when I see it," has my sympathy. I have a friend from childhood, who is a noted sculptor. His early art was real art. His present art makes him a lot of money. I believe he has prostituted his talent. Some of what he produces now ain't art.

I have a brother who is an amateur graphic artist. He is a PhD computer science university professor “by trade”. What he produces ain’t art neither. He does write great fiction.

Perhaps I should revert to my old byline of “an old Texas geezer.”
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Many jokes have been made about Jackson Polluck painting via overturning paint cans. However, about ten years ago I walked into the lobby of the New Orleans museum and saw a wall of about twenty modernist paintings. One leaped out at me and eclipsed the rest. That removed all doubt for me that JP knew what he was doing.
pl

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Many jokes have been made about Jackson Polluck painting via overturning paint cans.... JP knew what he was doing.
Really? And all these years I thought he was selling dropcloths! :lol:

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

That WAS the first joke.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm

There is some abstract art I can appreciate. There is a Catholic Church near where I live that has the Stations of the Cross illustrated in an abstract painting on a long glass window, the entire length of the sanctuary. The window gets larger as one goes through the stations. Then at the end of the 14 stations, there is a great burst of swirling orange color. After some contemplation, I realized it represented a lion, the Lion of Judah, the resurrected Lord. I was impressed, humbled and greatly blessed.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Most interesting conceptual way to emphasize the
Lion of Judah/Resurrection. I'd love to see it.
Does the church sell photos?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Re the original topic, I haven't seen my favorite Latinism, which has appeared in several forms, such as "illigitimi non carborundum est." Supposedly it says not to let them grind you down, but I can't translate it that way. Where does the "don't let" come in. "Est is sing. for "is." I know it's humorous, and I love it, still it annoys me.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Re the original topic, I haven't seen my favorite Latinism, which has appeared in several forms, such as "illigitimi non carborundum est." Supposedly it says not to let them grind you down, but I can't translate it that way. Where does the "don't let" come in. "Est is sing. for "is." I know it's humorous, and I love it, still it annoys me.
Perry, your phrase is difficult to translate because it's not really Latin. But, hey, if you like it, who's to say you can't. After all, de gustibus non disputandum est.

Check Wiklpedia for a quick discussion of this phrase.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Idioms”