Scibile

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Scibile

Postby Cacasenno » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Surprise! I can’t find an accurate translation in English for a word and, double surprise, couldn’t even find it adopted as in the case of hubris.
The word is scibile, current Italian for ‘all the human knowledge’, from Latin scibile, ‘knowledgeable‘, from scire, knowledge.
The only translation offered for scibile is ‘knowledge’ and I find this quite limitative.
Can anyone suggest a more satisfactory one-word translation?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Would erudition work?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 pm

WordReference.com gives the following for scibile:
Pocket Oxford Italian Dictionary © 2006 Oxford University Press:

scibile noun, masculine
knowledge;
lo ~ umano the sum of human knowledge
... which indicates to me that it is properly used in the phrase lo scibile umano (umano means human).

Looking up knowledgegive conoscenza (f) as the primary entry along with these words:
cognizione - conoscenza - cultura - dominio - intendersi - preparazione - sapere - scibile - scienza
and a list of idioms and phrases.

Systranet.com also translates scibile as knowledge.

The Library of Alexandria might have contained the sum of all human knowledge in ancient times, but even the Internet still doesn't contain all human knowledge to date; nor does any encyclopedia.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:49 am

Would erudition work?

I am afraid not, as Stargzer clarified. :)

Is scibile (in the present modern meaning) a word missing in the omnivorous and inventive English language?

Shall we propose it? 8)

I wonder what Collins would have to say about it (→ Gailr in Res Diversæ forum)
:lol:

benot6418
Junior Lexiterian

Postby benot6418 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:22 pm

PHILOLOGY.* This word, among the ancients, had a signification which included what .we now call philosophy, literature, the sciences, and the theory of arts, though it excluded their practice.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:35 pm

PHILOLOGY.* This word, among the ancients, had a signification which included what .we now call philosophy, literature, the sciences, and the theory of arts, though it excluded their practice.
This is a close one, but I don't think it goes quite far enough. The original suggestion was for a word that encompasses all human knowledge, not just the philosophical and scientific ones philology covers.

As to your signature, would you please consider altering it to something non-commercial? We don't appreciate ads here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Looks like the spammer hit here too.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Idioms”