Head over heels

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Head over heels

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:21 am

Head over heels seems to be a misapplied idiom. Aren’t we usually head over heels when we are in our normal sitting or standing position? How did it come to mean the opposite of what it says? Shouldn’t it be heels over head? Someone please explain it to me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Head over heels

Postby Slava » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 am

It's not from me personally, but here's a nice write-up on the matter.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:57 am

To which I will add
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/head_over_heels
Here the anonymous author(s) speculate the 14th century phrase was reversed due to "phrasal elegance." Of course, "phrasal elegance" is an ad hoc explanation that seems to be used only to "explain" the revision of "heels over head" to "head over heels." In other words, nobody knows why logic was thrown head over heels to arrive at the current form of the idiom. But isn't that the nature of idioms? The meaning of the expression cannot be determined by the sum of the parts.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:13 am

When the whole is greater than the sum of its parts we call it synergism.

byronhic
Junior Lexiterian

Head over heels

Postby byronhic » Fri May 17, 2019 11:53 am

What is the song that says "I was head over heels and I knew you would steal my heart away" and "never forget how you swept me away"

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat May 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KPXa_XgxQ

This is not among the genres folks here in the hinterland cotton to. To each his own. Here is an example of hinterland musical preference that I happen to be listening to now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstL7D1WdSc
We are pretty eclectic here in the hinterland but we do have our limits.

BrandiWood
Junior Lexiterian

Postby BrandiWood » Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 am

To which I will add
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/head_over_heelsgonerdify
Here the anonymous author(s) speculate the 14th century phrase was reversed due to "phrasal elegance." Of course, "phrasal elegance" is an ad hoc explanation that seems to be used only to "explain" the revision of "heels over head" to "head over heels." In other words, nobody knows why logic was thrown head over heels to arrive at the current form of the idiom. But isn't that the nature of idioms? The meaning of the expression cannot be determined by the sum of the parts.
What do you want? "To know you," she said without hesitation. "All of you. I want to know what makes you feel good." "Your laughter," he said without hesitation. "Feeling your hands on me. The way you look at me, whether I've been a complete dumbass, or just made you come-" With a laugh, she ducked her head, but he dipped his down until she was looking at him again. "You want to know what scared me?" he asked. "Yes" He leaned even closer and slid a hand to the nape of her neck. "The thought of never having those things with you again." -Chloe and Sawyer (Head over Heels)
Jill Shalvis
:wink:

Return to “Idioms”