some more words to consider for the test

The Alpha Agora will be a permanent home for discussions of words and language.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Another thread dead since 2006.
Why did it have the little thingie blinking on the very left
hand side of the post on the list in "Welcome Home".
Does that mean it is about to be removed or something???
At the bottom of the Index page, there is a short explanation of the icons. When it is flashing, it means it's a "hot" topic, with lots of posts. Ideally, this would be timed, but it seems to be strictly related to the mere number of posts.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Maybe the associated verbs hold a clue. "To sup" and "to dine" are not interchangeable, are they? (Does anybody use "to sup" nowadays? Oh, that's right: see next paragraph.) One may dine at any time, except in the early morning, when one breaks fast. One only sups in the evening.

Except my son, who sups at any hour of the day. If a friend comes by on a weekend morning, first thing he says is "'sup?"
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 pm

...my son, who sups at any hour of the day. If a friend comes by on a weekend morning, first thing he says is "'sup?"
This could be an interesting new section for punctuation/spelling; modern drivel. How doth one spell some of the blather coming from yout' dese days? And, do you need an apostrophe to fill in the space between words? "What's up?" "'Sup," or "'S'up"? Any takers on creating a new thread for this one?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

"Modern drivel" might be a good thread, but there's the chance it will drift toward apparent (not actual) racism, since so much of the drivel originates in the black community.

As for the apostrophes, I don't (for example) believe one need be placed between words.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Another thread dead since 2006.
Why did it have the little thingie blinking on the very left
hand side of the post on the list in "Welcome Home".
Does that mean it is about to be removed or something???
At the bottom of the Index page, there is a short explanation of the icons. When it is flashing, it means it's a "hot" topic, with lots of posts. Ideally, this would be timed, but it seems to be strictly related to the mere number of posts.
Thank you, I found it. Being new to a site it takes a while.
I used to give info like this on the former/dead site,
long may it rest in peace or otherwise: no bitterness here.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Maybe the associated verbs hold a clue. "To sup" and "to dine" are not interchangeable, are they? (Does anybody use "to sup" nowadays? Oh, that's right: see next paragraph.) One may dine at any time, except in the early morning, when one breaks fast. One only sups in the evening.

Except my son, who sups at any hour of the day. If a friend comes by on a weekend morning, first thing he says is "'sup?"

And you expect what from a 15 year old?????
You, of course, were never like him. Nor I: oh, why can't
they be like we were, perfect in every way????

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

...my son, who sups at any hour of the day. If a friend comes by on a weekend morning, first thing he says is "'sup?"
This could be an interesting new section for punctuation/spelling; modern drivel. How doth one spell some of the blather coming from yout' dese days? And, do you need an apostrophe to fill in the space between words? "What's up?" "'Sup," or "'S'up"? Any takers on creating a new thread for this one?

I'd probably read the drivel: though it drives me crazy.
Teaching high school was full of it:

Start the thread: my first: "wazzup, teach?"

And that 'quiz' from the Doctor: find your generation
of lingo and all that, could be a starting point.

Return to “WELCOME HOME!”