"someone who is afraid of running out of something to r

The Alpha Agora will be a permanent home for discussions of words and language.
Summer
Junior Lexiterian

"someone who is afraid of running out of something to r

Postby Summer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Early this week or last week, I saw a word on here that is used for "someone who is afraid of running out of something to read" and I have forgotten it. Can someone refresh my memory please!? I can't seem to find it :cry: Thanks :D

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 pm

abibliophobia

Found here: http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/phobias.html

It's the first one.

Welcome to the Agora! Hope you enjoy your stay.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Summer
Junior Lexiterian

:)

Postby Summer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Thank you sooo much! :)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Glad I could help.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Abibliophobia

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 pm

• The Good Dr. Goodword

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 pm

I note that atelophobia means fear of imperfection. Shouldn't philately therefore mean love of imperfection? Is there something imperfect about stamp-collecting?

Or does it refer to philatelists' love of imperfect stamps, which can be very valuable? Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 am

I note that atelophobia means fear of imperfection. Shouldn't philately therefore mean love of imperfection? Is there something imperfect about stamp-collecting?

Or does it refer to philatelists' love of imperfect stamps, which can be very valuable? Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.
I do wish I had an inverted Jenny, but that's not to be. The old British Guiana Black on Magenta is out of my league, too. And that's a normal one.

The real root of the word:
philately
"stamp-collecting," 1865, coined by Fr. stamp collector Georges Herpin (in "Le Collectionneur de Timbres-poste," Nov. 15, 1864), from Gk. phil- "loving" + ateleia "exemption from tax," the closest word he could find in ancient Gk. to the concept of "postage stamp" (from a- "without" + telos "tax"). A reminder of the original function of postage stamps, now often forgotten: the cost of letter-carrying formerly was paid by the recipient; stamps indicated it had been pre-paid by the sender, thus the letters were "carriage-free."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 am

...The real root of the word: ... A reminder of the original function of postage stamps, now often forgotten: the cost of letter-carrying formerly was paid by the recipient; stamps indicated it had been pre-paid by the sender, thus the letters were "carriage-free.
WHOA! Can you imagine having to pay for Junk Mail, let alone SPAM?

:shock:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm

WHOA! Can you imagine having to pay for Junk Mail, let alone SPAM?

:shock:
Fortunately, there wasn't any way back when. Sadly, both are with us now.

Return to “WELCOME HOME!”