Welcome to our new Agora

The Alpha Agora will be a permanent home for discussions of words and language.
devozione
Junior Lexiterian

Postby devozione » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:19 am

Hah, Look at that! The first post I make here, and there is a giant typo. Oh dear, I'm off to a fantastic start, aren't I? :oops:

That's why you will see the Edit button on the upper right of your post. :wink: I've used it many a time. Sometimes to add something I'd forgottent to add to the original post, sometimes to change something I farbled up in the original post. :)
I know how to work it... I just didn't notice the typo until it was pointed out to me! And if I changed it after that, the conversation wouldn't make any sense! Thanks though, Stargzer!

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:36 am

In our desire to be more perfect Type A personalities, with a strong tendency towards anal retentiveness, we (me, us, we) get caught off guard when we make a blunder. We need to remember that we are not all perfect, and if we stop posting in fear that we will be reprimanded or teased for our goofs, no one will ever post.

So, many cheers to all of us who make typos, add an extra letter, or...hold your breath...make a spelling error! It is the dialogue and the sharing of ideas and thoughts that are important. Grammatical errors get a special mention, because I am currently so confused with the rules of grammar that I wouldn't recognize one if it sat in my lap! :roll:
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:46 am

. . .I know how to work it... I just didn't notice the typo until it was pointed out to me! And if I changed it after that, the conversation wouldn't make any sense! Thanks though, Stargzer!
That's OK. They don't always make sense here. Even if someone tries to make you the butt of a joke, try not to let them get your goat.

-----------------------------

I forgot to add: "BEAT ARMY!"
Last edited by Stargzer on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:03 am

Sunny, it,s such a wonderful thing that you,ve handed down your love of words to your daughter. That mutual love of words will bond both of you for a long time.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:03 am

Sometimes to add something I'd forgottent to add to the original post, sometimes to change something I farbled up in the original post. :)
The tension mounts ! Will Larry eliminate the extra «t» and change the offending «f» to a «g» (and take a look at that supererogatory prepostion) by judicious use of the edit button - and if so, when ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:05 am

There goes my matutinal coffee again!!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:41 pm

Sometimes to add something I'd forgottent to add to the original post, sometimes to change something I farbled up in the original post. :)
The tension mounts ! Will Larry eliminate the extra «t» and change the offending «f» to a «g» (and take a look at that supererogatory prepostion) by judicious use of the edit button - and if so, when ?...

Henri
The extraneous "t" was a normal finger fault. As for the remainder, "to farble up (something)" or "to farble (something) up" is perfectly good American slang. It's an idiom that I believe is related to the "farbledy bit," a mythical computer data field of unspecified use; sort of a data-processing version of a widget. It is often used in a euphemistic sense, as in: "He really farbled that one up."

The "farbledy bit" is unrelated to the mythical electronic logic circuit known as a "Maybe Gate." The "Maybe Gate" is closer to an electronic gremlin.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Telly2183
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Telly2183 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:19 pm

Thank you, Stargzer, for your warm welcome! And "hello" to all other Lexiterians. I look forward to gaining some knowledge and insight from everyone! :D

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:11 pm

Welcome to you too Telly. Wonderful to have you with us.

Brian
Junior Lexiterian

Any opinions?

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:40 pm

Hello.

I don't believe in the word "mindset." I hear it every day, and to me it's not a word. It's something people use in place of what they really mean, but are just too lazy to think of the proper word. It's like using "ain't." It's not a word, but we all know what you mean when you say it.

If you break down the word into the two words which make it up, it doesn't mean the same thing, and doesn't make sense. I know there are examples of this, but I can still use it as a reason for it being a non-word.

What people actually mean when they use "mindset" is belief or attitude. Sometimes it is a substitute for moral code. Sometimes it's a buzz word or code word for having an ignorant attitude or belief based on little or outdated information and keeping it out of stubborness.

Basically, it means whatever you want it to mean, depending on the situation.

I would really like to know what others think.

-Brian

By the way, for all you Simpsons fans, I love the "Poochie" episode where they meet to discuss the new character

NETWORK EXECUTIVE: We at the network want a dog with attitude. He’s edgy. He’s in-your-face. You’ve heard the expression ‘let’s get busy?” Well this is a dog who gets biz-zay – consistently and thoroughly.

KRUSTY: So he’s proactive, huh?

NETWORK EXECUTIVE: Oh God, yes. We’re talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

WRITER: Excuse me, but “proactive” and “paradigm” aren’t these just buzz words dumb people use to sound intelligent. Not that I’m accusing you of anything like that….I’m fired, aren’t I?

PRODUCER: Oh yes.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Any opinions?

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 pm

Welcome, Brian! I hope you like it here!
. . .

It's like using "ain't." It's not a word, but we all know what you mean when you say it.
In the words of a former incarnation of Dr. Goodword . . . 't'isn't so!

(Stargzer decides to take a hike.)
Last edited by Stargzer on Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Any opinions?

Postby Stargzer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:11 am

Hello.

I don't believe in the word "mindset." I hear it every day, and to me it's not a word. It's something people use in place of what they really mean, but are just too lazy to think of the proper word. . . .
According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, it's been a word for over 70 years:
mindset
"habits of mind formed by previous experience," 1934, from mind (n.) + set (v.).
And the American Heritage Dictionary (Dr. Goodword's favorite, as I recall) also believes it's a word:
mindset

SYLLABICATION: mind·set
PRONUNCIATION: mīnd'sĕt
VARIANT FORMS: mind-set
NOUN: 1. A fixed mental attitude or disposition that predetermines a person's responses to and interpretations of situations. 2. An inclination or a habit.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Regards//Larry

Brian
Junior Lexiterian

Fine!

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:35 pm

Okay, okay, so it is a word. But I see that in the definitions there are words that would be more appropriate for most situations.

But I will accept it as an official word. It's not a very good one, though.

:::a long, drawn out "Krusty" type sigh:::

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:07 pm

Brian, welcome to the Agora ! Don't let Larry's mindset get you down ; that merely an attitude he affects. Actually, he's a sweet, loving chap with a great sense of humour (but a bit given to punning), as one can see if one reads his postings carefully....

Henri

PS : And remember, all words are good, except the bad ones !...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:25 am

Yes, Brian, my fixed mental attitude and disposition that predetermines my responses to and interpretations of situations is much more than an inclination or a habit.

I amn't a polyglot like my Swedish nemesis, Henri, or my other friends like Flam, BD, Apo, Dr. Goodword, and many of the other 200 or so Lexitarians here, but I am opinionated at times. :) Just another friendly "Ugly American." :lol:

Welcome aboard! I hope you have pun times at The AlphaAgora! 8)

And of course, EVERYBODY loves Katy! :D
Regards//Larry

Return to “WELCOME HOME!”