want to take the rebel-yankee test

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
melmarinfm@msn.com
Junior Lexiterian

want to take the rebel-yankee test

Postby melmarinfm@msn.com » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:20 pm

want to take the rebel yankee test

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: want to take the rebel-yankee test

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:09 pm

want to take the rebel yankee test
Well, then Melmarinfm, just mosey on over to the AlphaDictionary home page and click on the "Are You a Yankee or a Rebel?" link, or click on this here copy of the link:

Rebel-Yankee Test

Welcome aboard!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:51 am

Ok, I'm barely in the Yankee territory (test-wise), I use several Southernisms (oh the humiliatian) most of my expressions tested were also used by my parents who spent ALL of their formative years in the Great Lakes area (Mn.). I spent many childhood years in the south when I wasn't in Europe.
How can it be a Yankee-rebel test when even the southernisms were used by Yankees; confirmed Great Lakes Style Yankees, towit: pop, Caught-Kawt, y'all, yard sale (which is used exclusively all over Michigan, for those struggling with geography, it is a Great Lakes state right here cuddled up with Canada.)
So, my theory is: TV with all it's awful things it is probably the great homogenifier (er!) and ahem, are we really still fighting the civil war?

Kt
When It came time to decide where in the US I wanted to live, I realized it would be a choice between cold and cockroaches, or I'd be in North Carolina. I don't know if NC has the buggies but I'm taking no chances.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:22 pm

Oh yes, we have the buggies. But they aren't nearly as bad here as they were back east -- where they FLY!!!

Talk about serious horrors...

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:19 pm

somehow I don't mind flying insects that much, but have a horror of fast moving land animals, as it were, I've seen palmetto (?) bugs they don't lok so bad sas they look waaaaay too big!

Anyway, today I'm re-baseboarding my kitchen due to an influx of another of my favorite fast-moving land animals-mice. I'm washing everything down with orange cleaner a supposed repellant, ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Kt
No, After some thought; I won't be moving to North Carolina, UNLESS I win the HGTV dream-home.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:04 pm

. . . and ahem, are we really still fighting the civil war? . . .
You mean the War for Southern Independence, ma'am! :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Hey, as far as I'm concerned you can go your own way, but please take the little buggies wit ya! HOWEVER, the North Did win, so...........................
Kt
IT IS OVER, JUST SAY uncle......

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 pm

I wonder whether people ever really 'get over' civil wars of any scale. I suspect that events on which one's family or community stakes an identity are gotten over only by those descendents who leave that area and raise families where the old burning issue doesn't interest people living far enough up the road to have their own, far more interesting, problems. :)

In my old town there were still people 'taking sides' over a labor strike which had occurred a full century earlier. A friend found herself...unable...to regain access to a particular research library after revealing an interest in the forbidden subject. Ridiculous!

The US North-South conflict will not go gentle into that good night; not for centuries yet. (Two sorry precedents: Northern Ireland and the Middle East.) So many conflicts, remembered locally for centuries; a Mongolian-born coworker quickly and emphatically correcting a new teammate who asked her about "China". Whoof! Sometimes the warring factions band together against a larger, common enemy, only to Balkanize again at the first opportunity.

I liked the Rebel Yankee Test; cultivating a sense of humor is preferable! And I smile at the surprise when people's results are not as marked as expected (or wished-for?).

-gailr
who was not surprised to find herself mostly a yankee

katspaw
Junior Lexiterian

Postby katspaw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:48 am

. . . and ahem, are we really still fighting the civil war? . . .
You mean the War for Southern Independence, ma'am! :wink:
I'm a little late joining this conversation, but just had to add this: down here, it's often referred to as the "War of Northern Aggression." :wink: All a matter of perspective, I guess...like the difference between calling General William Tecumseh Sherman a "brilliant military tactician" or "a damn Yankee arsonist!" I've heard both in history classes....
And on the eighth day, God said, "Okay, Murphy, you take over!"

redneck_gal55
Junior Lexiterian

Postby redneck_gal55 » Mon May 01, 2006 3:09 pm

I was 93%... it asked me if i was related to General Lee!! man... must be a redneck! :D
I'm that Redneck chick that has all the fun down here

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 02, 2006 8:14 am

I was 93%... it asked me if i was related to General Lee!! man... must be a redneck! :D
I'm that Redneck chick that has all the fun down here
Do you mean that you are Gretchen Wilson?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 02, 2006 8:21 am

When It came time to decide where in the US I wanted to live, I realized it would be a choice between cold and cockroaches, or I'd be in North Carolina. I don't know if NC has the buggies but I'm taking no chances.
Katy, come on down. Not only is it bearable down here [take that in every sense of the word...no lack of bears in the outlying areas of Asheville] from the bug perspective; but best of all - none of those awful June bugs (or whatever they are called) that bring a two week to one month plague on the waterfronts of Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River. How I detested the way they would be all in one's face and hair; and then die in droves and crunch underfoot. Bleccchh! :(
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

southern_belle
Junior Lexiterian

Postby southern_belle » Thu May 04, 2006 11:29 am

I was 93%... it asked me if i was related to General Lee!! man... must be a redneck!
I tested 100% Rebel. It asked if General Lee is my grandfather.

Just had to add that....
100% Rebel. Is General Lee your grandfather?!

moumantai
Junior Lexiterian

Postby moumantai » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am

i was 87 percent do i still use confeterite money lol

i dont know if i answered the oil question right though

i say like oy-yill but that wasnt on the list

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Katie, we don't have anything down here that compares with the nastyness of those June bugs (or whatever they are callled) that show up for around 10 days every summer. I still get the heebie jeebies remembering how they would cover everything up when they were alive; and even worse, as they quickly died and left us their crunchy corpses underfoot. I encountered them at Lake St. Clair [one of the bodies of water that link Lake Huron to Lake Erie, for those unfamiliar with the area] enough times to more than last me a lifetime.

So no excuses katy. Come on down to Western North Carolina, where being a kook is a respectable occupation. :roll:
Anonymous

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”