Warsh?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Bluefish
Junior Lexiterian

Warsh?

Postby Bluefish » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:46 pm

Warsh? As in Warshington, DC, or I need to warsh dishes? Anybody else hear this? Where does this come from?

Bluefish
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Bluefish » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:50 pm

By the way, I scored a 30% on the test, maybe that's why "warsh" makes me crazy(er).

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 pm

my mother always said warsh, I'd ask her to show me the "r" in wash, I thought it was hers alone, a quirk, until I moved and read that I owned a wersh machine, yup right there on my list of belongings.

kT
WELCOME TO YOU, BLUEFISH

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:57 am

Native-born Warshintonians prounouce Washington, DC with an "r" in it. I can't say where it comes from, other than from having grown up in the area. Kind of like Baltimore coming out as Bawlamer or Balmer from a native Baltimoron (a term I thought I coined back in 1969, only to find out much later that H. L. Menken originated it to describe his fellow natives).
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Warsh

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 am

Where I come from in SouthTexas a significant number of the older peopel pronouncee the word "wash" with a long o and an r as "worsh".
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Warsh

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 am

I can actually spell "people" and "pronounce" but my fingers cannot always do what I tell them to do.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:26 pm

Philip, don't feel too bad, my fingers are dyslexic. welcome to you, and (Psssssssst) there is an edit button on your own posts so you can quickly fix your spelling before others notice. Guess how I know this?

Kt

Susann
Junior Lexiterian

Worshington

Postby Susann » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:05 pm

I'm from Washington State. Born and raised here, and now living here, but only after many years living elsewhere, in the US and overseas.

It is NEVER "worshington" here! Never ever! If you move here, learn right away to say "WAHshington", and you will fit right in.

And by the way, if you ever visit the state to the immediate south, you pronounce it "OR uh gun". Or even "OR-gun". The last syllable is barely pronounced. If you should say "or e GONE" everyone will know that you are not from around here...and they might laugh at you.
"Please wait until your elephant has come to a complete stop" (sign at Disneyland)

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Re: Worshington

Postby KatyBr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:46 pm

It is NEVER "worshington" here! Never ever! If you move here, learn right away to say "WAHshington", and you will fit right in.
agreed, I lived there for 20 or so years, I know they never say Warsh, how silly, but I believe Stargzer meant D.C.
And by the way, if you ever visit the state to the immediate south, you pronounce it "OR uh gun". Or even "OR-gun". The last syllable is barely pronounced. If you should say "or e GONE" everyone will know that you are not from around here...and they might laugh at you.
I know what you mean I tell people, "no, it's not gone, it's still there."
Where do you live in the Emerald City?
btw don't ya just love "Pally-up" oh yeah and "gee-oh-duck", lol

Kt
and a hearty welcome to you Susann

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 am

Philip, don't feel too bad, my fingers are dyslexic. welcome to you, and (Psssssssst) there is an edit button on your own posts so you can quickly fix your spelling before others notice. Guess how I know this?

Kt
I agree, and in spades. Join the clubs! Any mispeligns of mine are to be blamed on my left hnad adn on insufficient collaboration between left and right. 're' before preview is almost invariably 'er' (or is it hte other way around?). ANd it includes my left hnad resting on the SHift key for too long. Guess what, to prove my point I didn't previwe.
Irren ist männlich

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:21 am

KatyBr,

I know what a "gee-oh-duck" is thanks to Betty McDonnald and "The Egg and I." But what does "Pally-up" mean?

Susann
Junior Lexiterian

Poo-Yallup

Postby Susann » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:08 pm

KatyBr,
Thanks for the welcome, this is a fun site! I don't actually live in Seattle, I live up on Whidbey Island. Ah, yes, "Pally-up!" If you're not from here, you wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it!

Phillip, we were talking about the name of a town near Seattle. It's spelled "Puyallup", pronounced "Pew-AL-up".
The Geoduck, our enormous, wily, hideous-looking local clam, is pronounced "gooeyduck". You can make a whole chowder with just one--but first you have to catch it. Betty McDonald said that she didn't know why there was a limit on them, since one per lifetime was enough for her! :lol:
"Please wait until your elephant has come to a complete stop" (sign at Disneyland)

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Wow, Anders, I might have one or two juxtupostion words or letterings per paragraph, is this what I have to look forward to? I gotta admit tho' I gave up on my left hand and I type one-handed, I watch the keyboard while I type.(Anders and I have both had Strokes, I had mine at age 20)
Pally-up: When I moved to Seattle the first time, I was from California, back in early 1980's, (I was told by some "I hate anyone who even stopped for gas in California." so I kept that quiet) I worked for a credit reporting company, One lovely lady (with a soft Southern lisp) called in to ask about a company in Puyallup. she pronounced it Pally-up, I nearly choked, by that time I'd obtained the pronunciation patina.
I moved back to Seattle in a few years and it was all different. I was welcomed, probably because I never again encountered a native. I miss it so much, all my friends there. I lived in Queen Anne and Greenwood the firstime and Auburn and Renton the second time.

Kt

Susann
Junior Lexiterian

Pally-Up

Postby Susann » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:48 pm

KatyBr,
I had the same "hate experience" in Seattle--I'm from here, born in Seattle and Whidbey Island native, but lived in California for about 7 years, and drove up to Seattle with California plates on my car, of course. And I had some jerk on the ferry boat tell me how everyone just hated anyone from California, and he hoped I'd go back there as soon as my "vacation" was over.

Guess where he was from originally...NEW JERSEY!!! :shock:

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Susann, coming 'home' from Idaho I had no more California backlash. Seattle was named "most livable city" right before I moved there the first time, Californians raised the real estate prices to unbelievable heights, however that
happened due to Seattle greed. It would be a great city for my home-based business because commuting is a nightmare there. And your groceries cost the MOON! BUT! I love the city, I'd love to go home again.

welcome here I hope/know you'll have lots to contribute.

Kt

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”