Page 5 of 6

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 am
by Bailey
My mother's third dog was uglier than a rat. He hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree! I guess he was a mutt of some kind, a chihuahua mix.
Ahem, it is not possible for a chihuahua of any kind or mix to be less than adorable, PLEASE!

At the very least ths thread proves that Chi owners are great at naming the lil dahlings.

mark

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:06 pm
by Stargzer
Huny wrote: . . . To me he acts like a cat but looks like a miniture deer. :shock: Ahem..er.. for those of you who are enthused about deer hunting, don't get any ideas. . . .
Too small, not enough meat . . . :wink: Besides, he's a dog, not a cat.
"For God so loved the dog that He loaned him His Own Name, with which to spell his."
--Canis 3:16

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:02 pm
by Bailey
TacoBelle is tawny like a white-tail deer, but she stalks birds, and creeps up on squirrils so they don't see her coming until she pounces- the fence, the critters are on the other side, of course.

mark
I was told that in Mexico, from friends who live threre part-time, Chi's are used for birding.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:14 pm
by Huny
Bailey wrote:TacoBelle is tawny like a white-tail deer, but she stalks birds, and creeps up on squirrils so they don't see her coming until she pounces- the fence, the critters are on the other side, of course.

mark
I was told that in Mexico, from friends who live threre part-time, Chi's are used for birding.
I'm not sure Don Pepé would flourish in such a sport -for the hawks try to haul him off on a daily basis. When one swoops down to grab him in it's claws, Don Pepé deftly dodges the hawk with a loud shout of "Olé", and escapes it's clutches once again! :wink:

BTW: Speaking of dog names. My mother has a solid black 40 lb. Cocker Spaniel she calles Dixie-Lee. She is the cutest but dumbest spaniel I have ever seen. I call her "D-D" short
for "dum-dum". And yes she will snatch a mockingbird right out the air and then barf it up later after she gets let into the house. Sorry- there I go being crass again. :roll: When life gets complicated, it can be like trying to pick a turd up by the clean end. :roll: :roll:

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:56 pm
by Stargzer
That last line sounds like a great tagline.

Time to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 am
by Huny
Stargzer wrote:That last line sounds like a great tagline.

Time to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
I thought about it for a while, but didn't know how it would be recieved. I try to stay upbeat and positive most of the time for my own sanity, but we know how that can be. I have this alter personality :twisted: and sometimes it takes on a life of it's own. I blame my dad for that one ( he was a sailor for the Navy at one time and walked away from it with a bag full of some of lifes best morals ) "Take the clouds from your eyes and see me as I really am". Is that how it goes? Dulcinea to Don Quixote?

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:11 am
by gailr
Stargzer wrote: "For God so loved the dog that He loaned him His Own Name, with which to spell his."
--Canis 3:16
Cute, Gzer. Do you have one of these?
-gailr

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:52 pm
by Brazilian dude
Since you brought dogs' names up, how come you accent Pepe? There should be no accent, since it's a paroxytone (accent on the penultimate syllable) ending in a vowel. The same rule would apply if it ended in an n or s.

Brazilian dude

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:52 pm
by Huny
Brazilian dude wrote:Since you brought dogs' names up, how come you accent Pepe? There should be no accent, since it's a paroxytone (accent on the penultimate syllable) ending in a vowel. The same rule would apply if it ended in an n or s.

Brazilian dude
Well, for several reasons: I named him that after my uncle, the late great "Pepé", and that is how he spelled it. He, and everyone else that new him, pronounces the last "e" like the "e" in olé, pe-PAY with accent on the last "e". That is the way he explained it to me and the way he spelled it and pronounced it. Also, people around here seem to be able to pronounce it right when I do put the accent there. Otherwise it comes out like "Pee-pee" :cry: So, I guess it comes down to personal reasons and personal preference in a country that can spell one name dozens of different ways, and have a dozen different ways to pronounce that same name. I guess it would be called individuality. :wink:

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:01 pm
by Stargzer
gailr wrote:
Stargzer wrote: "For God so loved the dog that He loaned him His Own Name, with which to spell his."
--Canis 3:16
Cute, Gzer. Do you have one of these?
-gailr
No, but I've been looking for a copy of this one!

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 am
by AP
Similar to sjone1's wife's grandparents in Kentucky, we call our Ky granparents "grandmaw" and "grandpaw"-- :D

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:01 pm
by gailr
As context, delivery and perception shape whether a term is courtesy or insult, please enjoy the following piece I found by Bernie Bernstein:
POPS

He called me pops; I cannot
believe that, that bartender
just called me pops. That,
that stranger called me
pops, that, that young bartending
bastard has the right, has the
audacity to call me pops.

I never even gave him hell
for calling me pops. I said
nothing and just like some
limp aged old man I pretended
not to hear him call me pops
and just huddled on the bar
stool and sipped my beer like
some aged lamebrain fogey and
sipped my beer.

Pops--he called me pops.
I'll never go to that
bar again.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:37 pm
by gailr
Bailey wrote:
My mother's third dog was uglier than a rat. He hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree! I guess he was a mutt of some kind, a chihuahua mix.
Ahem, it is not possible for a chihuahua of any kind or mix to be less than adorable, PLEASE!

At the very least ths thread proves that Chi owners are great at naming the lil dahlings.

mark
I am resurrecting this thread as therapy, of sorts. On my way home I saw a student cradling...something. It was really small, a striking dark brown, with a snout like a weasel, and bedraggled whiskers. It had the ears of a kit fox and the big, brown eyes of a Margaret Keane painting. It was shivering. Or maybe twitching. I didn't notice any foam flecking its lips, which, I understand, is a good sign. But then again, I can't say that I noticed lips. It was quiet. Too quiet. Perhaps trying to not call attention to itself?

I admit I'm a cat person; I only recognize the really obvious dog breeds. Can any of you dog persons provide a plausible explanation for the elbow warmer I've described above?

-Deeply Disturbed in Denver :shock:

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 pm
by Bailey
a ferret?

mark regrets-the-chi-mix-comments-there-are-some-extremely-ugly-ones-out-there-but-they-are-better-than-any-cat Bailey

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:08 am
by gailr
Nope. This was no ferret. :shock: