Yank/Reb test: missing links and suggested addtitions

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Three questions that had no adequate answer on my test:

#13 the road along the highway- there's no such thing in many places (I travelled over a thousand miles from home before I saw one)

#17 throwing toilet paper over a house --never seen it done and hence has no name at all (is this related to throwing shoes on telephone wires? does that have a name? (or a purpose?))

#20 none of the above: I learned that that insect was called a "doodle bug" (in Mississippi).

So I left two of those blank and answered #13 based on travel experience. Came out with a 50/50 score. Any other none-of-the-above answers?

Additional thoughts on additions:
-pronunciation of "roof" -rhymes with goof or hoof?
-after breakfast, is the next meal lunch folllowed by dinner, or is it dinner followed by supper?
-pronunciation of "tire" -is the I an I or an R ("tar")?
- color: pronounced like "kyuh-ler" around Phila.
- when you go to a supermarket are you rolling a shopping cart or a buggy (or something else)?
-and this one I really wanna know: pronunciation of Kibosh (my NY friend insists it's KYE-bosh!).

All commentary invited!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Yank/Reb test: missing links and suggested addtitions

Postby Bailey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:53 pm

#17 throwing toilet paper over a house --never seen it done and hence has no name at all ...

All commentary invited!
You've never heard of TP'ing a house? Have you been to High School yet?

For those who really don't know, if you take a roll of toilet paper, hold the end and throw the roll over a house and the landscaping you have a nice prank played on a rival or a family who is causing you trouble. You really need to throw several rolls to maximum effect. The final result is a yard veritably festooned with thin white strips of paper, it's Hard to clean up.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

Still Dixie

Postby mamawsandy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 pm

I scored 57% and an still Dixie. In theory that is, cause if it was on the way I speak, i would be from south Georgia. The only reason I got this score is because I was taught the correct way to speak.
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AdoAnnie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:33 am

#20 none of the above: I learned that that insect was called a "doodle bug" (in Mississippi).

I am from Texas and I ,too, grew up calling them doodle bugs and rolly pollies. One day my daughter, then 3, got in trouble at church because she decided that the dozen or so doodle bugs in her hand needed to be baptized and she sprinkled them all out in the font.

Additional thoughts on additions:
-pronunciation of "roof" -rhymes with goof or hoof?

Roof like goof

-after breakfast, is the next meal lunch followed by dinner, or is it dinner followed by supper?

The next meal after breakfast is LUNCH. You have dinner last on weekdays and have Supper after church on Sundays.

-pronunciation of "tire" -is the I an I or an R ("tar")?

Ty-er, but you have to slur together so there are only a hint of two syllables.

- color: pronounced like "kyuh-ler" around Phila.

Culler and when you are actively using crayons it's cullerin

- when you go to a supermarket are you rolling a shopping cart or a buggy (or something else)?

Sometimes cart and sometimes basket, if mom tells you to go get a shopping basket you'd best come back with something large, plastic and on wheels

Separating the way Northerners from the way Southerners, how do you pronounce the name of that little curtain that hangs out over the outside of a window?
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:52 am

#17 throwing toilet paper over a house --never seen it done and hence has no name at all ...

All commentary invited!
I seem to remember Biology, Math, History... but somehow must have missed the TP class. (btw wouldn't it be "TPing"?)

So yes, I went to high school in the '60s --and got out too! <duck>

AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AdoAnnie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:50 am

We called it wrapping and I remember it vividly as it is still done here on a infrequent basis. Our house has been wrapped about 3 times since my daughter began school and she will be 20 this summer. You don't see it here as often as you used to because the supermarkets have begun denying purchase of large amounts of toilet paper to kids. So you just have ten kids go in and each buy one small package.
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:26 pm

TP class. (btw wouldn't it be "TPing"?)
no, it's called quite distinctly tp'ing* not Tping more like Teepeeing(*note the singular apostrophe taking the place of all those pesky vowels)
and in school in the late 60's we had lots of TP'ed houses done by High Schoolers, especially to rival football captian's houses.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:18 pm

TP class. (btw wouldn't it be "TPing"?)
no, it's called quite distinctly tp'ing* not Tping more like Teepeeing(*note the singular apostrophe taking the place of all those pesky vowels)
Aha, then it should be T'P'ing! (yikes) or T'p'ing... I dunno, it's all new to me. Closest I've heard to this is the nickname of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the synonym being very appropriate.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

where you 'stay'

Postby sluggo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Here's another one I'm just reminded of: "Where do you stay?" meaning "where do you live?" -I've heard this in the South, not sure if it's considered more Black English as these lines are blurry in New Orleans.

Begs the question of what phrase is used when one really does mean "where are you staying?" (temporarily)...

goldeng
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Still Dixie

Postby goldeng » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am

I so agree!
There were at least three answers that lots of people here use, such as "crick" for creek. Since I myself almost never use them, I had to give the answer that I use. The quiz seems to be oriented to people born and raised in the same area and use the traditional dialect.

[quote="mamawsandy"]I scored 57% and an still Dixie. In theory that is, cause if it was on the way I speak, i would be from south Georgia. The only reason I got this score is because I was taught the correct way to speak. [color=red][/color][/quote]

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:45 pm

How about do you "make" someone's picture, or do you "take" someone's picture?

Do you "take" someone somewhere, or do you "carry" them there?

Making a picture and carrying someone someplace seem to be common in middle Tennesse/northern Alabama!

Barbara Fuller
Junior Lexiterian

Pictures made; being carried

Postby Barbara Fuller » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:36 pm

I've been living in GA for the past 20 years and I've learned that the natives like to have their pictures made, and when they need a ride, they ask someone to carry them.

Tanteniff
Junior Lexiterian

Anyone ever had a hero?

Postby Tanteniff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:52 pm

It's definitely a Metro-New York thing, but I'd never heard of a sub, or a hoagie, or a grinder etc. until I went away to college. We call it a Hero.
A yawn is quite catching, you see, like a cough... It just takes one yawn to start other yawns off. - Dr. Seuss

Tanteniff
Junior Lexiterian

Sub vs. Hero

Postby Tanteniff » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:19 am

Little anecdote... When I went to college, there was a "Sub shop" on campus. I thought they called it that because it was in the basement.
A yawn is quite catching, you see, like a cough... It just takes one yawn to start other yawns off. - Dr. Seuss

JUDYPOOH
Junior Lexiterian

TPing

Postby JUDYPOOH » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:18 pm

I would have guessed it'd be:
T.P.ing
instead of
TP'ing,
since then you'd need two apostrophes as someone else suggested.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”