Pool and Pole

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Mama
Junior Lexiterian

Pool and Pole

Postby Mama » Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 pm

I grew up in Tennessee, where I learned to say pool, for a swimming pool, and pole for a telephone pole, but now that I live in PA, my kids say pool to mean a telephone pole. Is that a Pennsylvania thing? It drives me nuts.
Mama

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Any Pennsylvanians out there? I'm curious myself, and it's been a long time we've been waiting for an answer. Anyone care to clue us in? It would drive me nuts, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

The Good Doctor lives in Lewisburg PA and should be able to speak with some authority on the local dialect. Actually, since there is quite a bit of dialectical variation within Pennsylvania, it would be helpful if Mama would tell where in Pennsylvania she and her children are living.

Mama
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Mama » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 am

Certainly. I live in Southwest Pennsylvania, about 15 miles west of Pittsburgh.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Ah, Pittsburgh, birthplace of my wife and her cousins. You can always tell someone from Western Pennsylvania; they say "This needs cleaned" instead of "This needs cleaning" or "This needs to be cleaned." That, and the personal pronoun "yuns;" it just ain't the same as y'all. The Maryland public school system just couldn't learn them any different. :wink:

I think this quote says it all:
Surely you are one of them. Thy speech betrays thee.
:lol:

BTW, that "ain't" is spelled a i n ' t. Somebody must've hacked the Profanity Filter! Doc, are you reading this?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Mama
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Mama » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Yuns is supposed to be a contraction - You ones, or you'ns just like y'all stands for you all.
The bad word insert is funny. I guess it's like my teacher used to say ain ' t ain ' t a word.
And did the Maryland school system teach them or learn them? You know if you teach them, they will learn. LOL

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”