North Vs. South

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
txmusicgirl
Junior Lexiterian

Postby txmusicgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm

I laughed at it.... :lol:
Never seen a two Dollar Store before :D

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Somebody up 'ere said Waco. I had a friend from near Waco who said his home was so far in the boondocks he had to head toward town to hunt. To my ear, he called the town Why-co.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

vacuumfoam
Junior Lexiterian

Postby vacuumfoam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Maybe he said Hico, small town about 60 miles NW of Waco along state highway 6. Of course, if he was saying Waco and it came out Whyco, he ain't no native. :)

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm

It could have been Hico. We never went into it much.

Oddly enough, the only other thing I remember about him from early 1970 is also pertinent to word usage. This is indelicate, but interesting, so I'll waltz around it as well as I can. He was apparently in need of female companionship, so he told us he was going to go into town and "get me some c***." Much to my surprise and that of the other males present, he did not use the four-letter-vulgarity-that-starts-with-C one would expect in this context, but rather its vulgar opposite (think male chicken.)

After much guffawing and some discussion, it turned out this was a local idiom of his and not a slip of the tongue. We advised him to switch to standard vulgarity or be very selective of the audience in front of which he used his peculiar, local idiom.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Aye, that one could lead to major problems. I'd propose dropping the vulgarity in general. Just go for "getting some."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

vacuumfoam
Junior Lexiterian

Postby vacuumfoam » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 am

Yep, I grew up saying the same thing. I later read that such usage was common in the south, although for the life of me, I can't remember where I read it. (Maybe the Playboy Advisor?)

Anyway, odds are that such usage has fallen out of favor, given the loosening of standards in the mass media over the years. Now everyone probably uses what they hear in the movies. I know I don't use that idiom any more. (Of course, in my maturity, I rarely use any of those so-called "off color" terms. :D)

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Yep, I grew up saying the same thing. I later read that such usage was common in the south, although for the life of me, I can't remember where I read it. (Maybe the Playboy Advisor?)

Anyway, odds are that such usage has fallen out of favor, given the loosening of standards in the mass media over the years. Now everyone probably uses what they hear in the movies. I know I don't use that idiom any more. (Of course, in my maturity, I rarely use any of those so-called "off color" terms. :D)
Well, now I know he was telling us the truth ("being straight with us" was tempting, but I wouldn't stoop that low for a pun,) and he wasn't nimbly recovering from a Freudian misstep.
Beck

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Well, now I know he was telling us the truth ("being straight with us" was tempting, but I wouldn't stoop that low for a pun,) and he wasn't nimbly recovering from a Freudian misstep.
Ah, practicing your paralipsis, I see.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm

I've had to practice every day since my injury.
Beck

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”