Hey Y'all, is Southern Drawl Spreading?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Mark-no-one-can-make-a-monkey-out-of-this-chimp-Bailey.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hey Y'all, is Southern Drawl Spreading?

Postby gailr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Iffen they caught him.
Mark-slick-as-the-wind-Bailey? :lol:
Mayhap yes, and mayhap no...

I'd like some feedback from one or all y'all genuine Southerners on the correct form of caught for "iffen they caught him". One grandma occasionally used the past tense cotched. (None of my other relatives ever said this, even though my rather small family is thinly spread from sea to shining sea.) What etymologies I can find do not fit her rural German-Nebraskan heritage.

What is the correct Southernism for 'caught', in the context of varmint-killin' shotgun polishers? And any other 'cotcheds' out there?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Iffen they caught him.
Mayhap yes, and mayhap no...

I'd like some feedback from one or all y'all genuine Southerners on the correct form of caught for "iffen they caught him". One grandma occasionally used the past tense cotched. (None of my other relatives ever said this, even though my rather small family is thinly spread from sea to shining sea.) What etymologies I can find do not fit her rural German-Nebraskan heritage.

What is the correct Southernism for 'caught', in the context of varmint-killin' shotgun polishers? And any other 'cotcheds' out there?
I 'spect you may be talkin' 'bout Appalachian specifically. Fur as I know you don't never hear catched or cotched down in the Deep (off'n them thar maunt'ns.)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:56 pm

I cain't turn ma back on y'all, All of a sudden I'm slick? I'dda chosen "slickern-snot" cuz That's what I was teached, I cain't speak appalatch, I kin speek Kaintuck, 'ketchin them crawdads and eatin' possum', [no thanks you may have my share, I lack that partikular culinary experience hopefully into perpetuity], lots o' elision there in kaintuck, funny a word like leash becomes lesh, but the short words sometimes acquire several extra syllables. I cain't think of any partikular 'zamples but y'all know what Ah means. Oh wait All become Ay' ol; oil =O'wahl, leas' it did when Ah lived Thay'-are.

mark this-is-tedious-work-writin'-accents Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Iffen they caught him.
You follow the "Three S's"--Shoot it, Shovel it, and Shut up.

Never heard "cotched" in Tennessee, Alabama, or Mississippi. Maybe it's the German side of the heritige coming out?

I think most Southerners are going to say "caught" But, it may be "caught up with him" or "caught up to him."
But varmit killin', shotgunners might just say "after they shot him."

Reminds me of an old joke--
A man with a knife approaches a Democrat and his family on the street and demands his money. The Democrat thinks "oh, this poor man. How did he get this way? He must have had a terrible childhood. His homelife must be awful. He must have a disease like drug addiction that makes him need this money. We really should try to understand him so we can help him." He reaches in his pocket and gives him his money.

A Northern Republican is in the same situation. The Republican reaches in his pocket and "Blam!"

A Southern Republican is in the same situation. He reaches in his pocket and "Blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam! (Sounds of reloading.) Blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam! The son says "Aw, Dad, you were faster on the draw than me!" The daughter says "Nice grouping, Daddy!" The wife says, "You ain't takin' that thing home and stuffing it!"

Ok, only a little thread drift here...

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Ok, only a little thread drift here...
I think this entire thread has been drifting. lol
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Yes, she does. And I have her Dad who also has 1 blue eye.
I have a three year old that has a blue left eye. Her momma is a red and her papa was a double dapple with two blue eyes and is deaf as a log. She has spots down her back all the way to the tip of her tail. Other than that, she is all red. She has two different colors of blue in that eye, all being full rings around her pupil. All of her emotions and feeling can be read in that one eye. It's almost human like. I swear it glows in the dark. She is battling breast cancer right now. She goes in for tumor removal next Tuesday. Poor little girl. She is my child-for I have none of my own. Yours is beautiful. :D

Huny
Aw, and I wish her the best and a speedy recovery! I know exactly what you mean about that eye. My daughter and I joke about it saying, "Is she giving you the blue eye or the brown one?" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is tooo funny!!!
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 pm

Good joke, skinem. 'Cause guns don't kill people! :wink:

-gailr

Eddie Izzard:
Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (brackets) if they have a gun (close brackets).
Is this joke funny in Dayton?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:17 am

Apropos of extra syllables in Appalachia, when my sone was in kindergarten he said to me, "Give me mah bayack payack".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”