Lexicon of Bawlamarese

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Lexicon of Bawlamarese

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:50 am

Well, we have our own list of Southernisms, but there's a whole site devoted to what many of us would call Baltimore.

http://www.baltimorehon.com/

Hope you like it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lexicon of Bawlamarese

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

People from Balamer do talk differently. I have spent time there. Some of this Bawlamarese is used more widely.

I have been told repeatedly that accents or dialects are passing out of our language in favor of Standard English, whatever that is. I believe if one listens to the lingo of the great unwashed of America, one will find that accents and dialects are still widely used.

When I go to rural Smith County, Texas, I automatically change my accent in order to fit in. Years ago I had an employee from Oak Cliff, a part of Dallas known for its Red Neck vernacular. She visited her grandmother in Paris, Texas, and remarked on her return, "Them follks frum Parrs, Texiz, shore do tallk funny!"

A lady joined our church and I immediately spotted her as a denizen of Van Alstyne, Texas by her accent. Later I missed her at church for several weeks. Having performed my haptic osculatory duty toward another Van Alstyne native, I asked why the lady was not coming to church. She answered, “ Oh hunney, she jest cuden’ git uste t’ our citified ways ‘n she done went and gone back to Van Alstyne.”

So there! (Red Neck for QED).
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”