British slang

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Pinocchio might be jealous of that nose.

mark still-laughing Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:53 am

"Super" was what affected businessmen used in the 70's, or maybe it was just everyone but me, I'm affected but not that way. "Wicked" is still a school-age kid term, here. As far as I know.

mark sigh-I'm-getting-so-old Bailey
As far as I hear/have heard, "wicked" is (was?) pretty well confined to upper New England, regardless of age; but as an übercomparator, it's possibly a just a tad off the Brit sense (?)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:11 am

I don't think I'll ever find the original picture, but I did find a reference to it:
Mind Matters
by Rev. Robert H. Tucker
Number 336
March 15, 1999

Mad About You

Mad Magazine still around? Indeed. There it was on the airport newsstand. A relic? No, it had this month's date on it.

The magazine brought back past improbabilities. There was the picture of President Lyndon Johnson lifting his shirt to reporters to show his surgical scar, and Mad's editors had pasted a map of Vietnam on his belly. There was a take-off on a drug manufacture's series of advertisements: "Great Moments in Medicine." The shocked faces of the patient and relatives with the great moment being "Presenting the Bill."

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Slang”