A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:59 am

I recently became interested in the origin of the term "86," used to indicate that the restaurant is out of an item.

Using Google I have read various explanations (86th item on the menu at Delmonico's, Chumley speak easy in NY has 86 in the address, Article 86 in the health code, rhyming slang for "nix" etc.) None of them particularly convincing.

However, I did find a reference which is probably definative, and I wonder if anyone can get a copy and send it to me or summarize it for me. This reference is
Alan Dundes "An Uplifting Origin of 86"
American Speech - Volume 76, Number 4, Winter 2001, pp. 437-440
Unfortunately, you gotta pay to read it. Anyone with access to a library who can check it out?
I took Dundes' Folklore class at Berkeley and I from my experience there I can guarentee the article will be an entertaining read.
Cheers,

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:04 am

Some additional thoughts on the subject could be found at plateaupress.com.au, but are no longer availabe.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:20 pm

My dad used the 'deep-six' version of this term to indicate causes which should be abandoned.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: 86

Postby Stargzer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:23 am

I recently became interested in the origin of the term "86," used to indicate that the restaurant is out of an item.

However, I did find a reference which is probably definative, and I wonder if anyone can get a copy and send it to me or summarize it for me. This reference is
Alan Dundes "An Uplifting Origin of 86"
American Speech - Volume 76, Number 4, Winter 2001, pp. 437-440
I was thinking you could find a copy of American Speech in a University library, but then, you are in Tokyo ... it would probably have to be a BIG University with a well-stocked linguistics section.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:33 am

Dear Stargazer,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, you don't know how Japanese university libraries work. Basically, the only people they let in are students and faculty of the university itself. There are a couple that do allow the general public to do research, but they charge an arm and a leg for the privilage. It would be cheaper to buy the article from American Speech.

The public libraries have rather sparse collections in foreign languages, and their attitude seems to more "we have to protect the books -- don't let anyone read them."

Cheers,

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 am

Alas, bnjtokyo-san, it seems that is one area in which Japan is not ahead of the US.

I can walk into most any Junior College, College, or University library and do some research, but I can't check out books. I could probably arrange an inter-library loan through my local County Library System (part of the State Library System). The County Libraries also have online and microform access to other resources, and some of the online resources can be accessed from home through the County Library web site, but you will need a valid County library card for access to those resources. (No, I can't lend you my card number! There's too much personal information running around the 'net as it is!)

You'll just have to make friends with a student that can get you in! :D
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Some additional thoughts on the subject are found here. (Page has disappeared.)
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Slang”