Hissy fit vs conniption

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Hissy fit vs conniption

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 am

In today's news column, Shellie Tomlinson of All Things Southern website discusses the difference between "hissy fits" and "conniption fits." In her view, a hissy is less violent and shorter than a conniption, which is longer and somebody can get hurt. I was amused, but wondered whether anyone else might add valuable information on this topic. Nations seem to spend a good deal of time trying to figure out whether a foreign leader is merely having a hissy, or if his conniption puts us in danger.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:07 pm

One difference I would make is that only women have hissy fits, while anyone can have a conniption.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Southernbelle
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Hissy fit vs conniption

Postby Southernbelle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 pm

I have an English friend (currently living in Minnesota) who introduced me to a new kind of fit: the "duck fit". We're still trying to decide where it, ahh, "fits" on the "fits continuum"...any suggestions? :mrgreen: (Oh, and I agree that one begins with a hissy fit and works one's way into a full-blown, furniture-throwing conniption fit. I should know, I've done it often enough. 8) )

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Welcome to the Agora Southernbelle, or should we call you Scarlet?

Duck fit is a new one to me. I made an abbreviated stab at looking it up, but didn't really get very far.

Do you agree that only women have hissy fits?

Hope you are here for the long term. We need more active posters, and more women in general. Too many of us LWMs (I presume) dominating the board.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm seeing that used by bloggers in their mid-20's to mid-30's as just "hissy" indicating a (usually, but not always) person exhibiting immature behavior. I'm more likely to see conniption used by writers who are at least in their 40's. It may be different in your region!

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Furniture throwing? Like Bobby Knight? Yr pic and screen name certainly belie that. Nevertheless, I shall keep my distance at the office party.

Again, welcome, and feel free to lurk or share.
pl

Return to “Slang”