Technology's Influence on Language

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Technology's Influence on Language

Postby Slava » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Is it good, bad, or something in-between? Here's a short piece from The Economist I've been meaning to post for a while now:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero ... technology

The author is all for it. What do you folks think?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Technology's Influence on Language

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:16 am

I generally agree with the point of the article. However, I see no reasons for the abbreviations to be spoken out loud. The whole point of the abbreviations and texting and the like is it reduces the number of keys to punch. Twitter limits you to 140 characters, plus the smallest of the keys make it more difficult than a computer keyboard to type. Thus the abbreviations. Speaking abbreviations out loud is unnecessary and as the author points out, it can often take longer to say the abbreviation. All sorts of words will be coming into the language as any kind of new household or office gadget shows up. When did "can opener" become a phrase?

Those using technology frequently develop a more or less technical vocabulary. We can talk about windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, and most users of those operating systems will understand you. And so on.
pl

batman
Junior Lexiterian

Postby batman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:48 am

Language is changing over the centuries. We have to get used to this.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Well, I agree, batman, but there are others, who shall remain unnamed, who are much more reluctant. Some have lifted the arena to scholarly debate, although not in the lingo of Chaucer.
pl

Return to “Slang”