Latitude and Longitude have more breath and far reaching meaning

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

Latitude and Longitude have more breath and far reaching meaning

Postby eberntson » Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am

These words are ubiquitous for those of us that can remember taking actual Geography classes. The roots and meaning of these words are related to breathing room for latitude. And longitude means the reach to the East in Europe, since the Atlantic was the ultimate border to the west.

It is worth a peak, there are many connections to be made. I remember the book/tv-series Connections where this was explained so clearly as a scientific concept.

I’m reading a Russian (translated) beekeeping book and latitude seems to be considered greatly in regards to the nectar flow which in our hemisphere moves northward. In contrast to the glory of the fall leaves turning color moving southward.

Eric
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Latitude and Longitude have more breath and far reaching meaning

Postby Slava » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm sure I've seen non-geographical usages of latitude, but cannot think of any way of using longitude metaphorically. Anyone?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Latitude and Longitude have more breath and far reaching meaning

Postby bbeeton » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:28 pm

Longitude by itself may have only a geographical meaning, but there is such a thing as a "longitudinal study", in which repeated observations are made over time involving the same subjects and the same criteria,

Nothing geographical there, but an association through relation to time.

(And I can't leave this word without an appreciation for the marvelous book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel.)

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”