Throng

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Throng

Postby David Myer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 pm

I recently came upon the headline "The air is thronged with ghosts".

It jarred a little. Thronged is far too physical a concept to be associated with ethereals such as air and ghosts, surely? A throng of ghosts? I don't think so. But what word should we use as a collective for ghosts? A cloud of ghosts? A mist of ghosts? The air was misted with ghosts?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Throng

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Thick? Miasmal?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:24 pm

I see that various websites suggest a 'fright of ghosts'. But I don;'t like that. Not all ghosts are frightening in my experience. Anyway a collective noun should capture the feel of lots of them. Most popular collective nouns fail on that score in my view.

Miasma is usually to do with unpleasant smells and I don't think that's an issue for ghosts. They don't need to shower daily.

No, I like a cloud. There may be a name for the specific clouds that waft about thinly. A cumulus of ghosts?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:48 pm

I'm now thinking it depends on what kind of ghosts they are, and the atmosphere you wish to convey. A heavy hearted person might be shrouded in a nimbus of ghosts, though nimbus can also be a light aura. A room might be heavy with the ghosts of ages past. And so on.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”